Funny things that happen at your Thanksgiving dinner

by pratt1 2 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

I have 2 stories of accidents/funny things that has happened at our Thanksgiving dinner.

When I was newly married, my wife and I invited 2 other couples over for dinner on Thanksgiving, because "turkey was cheap" so we bought one - we weren't really celebrating a holiday, it was just that a turkey was too big for just 2 people. We were in denial.

My job was to make a cake, something I had never attempted and since I was a MS and the "head of the house" I didn't need any help from my lowly wife.

I wanted to make the cake fron scratch so I used the recipe on the back of Presto baking flour.

Because I was watching football at the same time I was trying to make the cake, I transposed the directions for sugar and baking powder - 2 cups of sugar bacame 2 cups of baking powder and a tablespoon of baking pwder bacame a tablespoon of sugar.

I mixed the ingredients and sat down to finish watching the game as the ckae baked. After about 15 minutes there was a huge explosion in the kitchen, the entire oven door had blown off and there was cake batter over the whole kitchen.

Needless to say the dinner was ruined.

No Thanksgiving dinner for us that year.

Second story, not to be outdone, last year my daughter 20 years old was in charge of making the Turkey for thanksgiving. She cleaned and seasoned the turkey and was ready to put it in the oven, when she happened to mention to my wife that she when she cleaned the turkey, she couldn't see all the way through the turkey from the butt to out the neck.

My wife quickly realized what our daughter had done, she did not remove the organs that come with the turkey that is usually wrap in plastic.

Disaster narrowly avoided.

Do you have any funny Thanksgiving stories/mishaps?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, somehow I don't think anyone could top your cake story! But I remember one Thanksgiving, my sister sat next to a friend. They each had a piece of pie. then, just for the fun of it, my sister kept urging our friend to have another piece of pie - throughout the afternoon the poor girl managed to eat an entire pie because she wasn't assertive enough to say no. I think that was just funny to my sister, though.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

We have our lab crated in the kitchen right now, because she just had surgery. I was scraping dishes to load in the dishwasher after dinner last night, and I heard a rattling sound behind me. I turned around and looked, and all I could see was a little pink tongue poking through the holes of the crate, licking the stuffing off a spatula that had veered into doggy range.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit