Tom's health advice

by TD 6 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

St. Matthew attributes the following words to Jesus:

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest and findeth none. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwelleth there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first."

I don't have much use for the supernatural these days, but nevertheless, there might be at least a metaphorical sliver of truth here.

I've watched many JW's leave their religion and develop serious, serious health problems within a few years of leaving.

Is this coincidence? I don't know, I'm not a healthcare professional, but I suspect that it is not.

Besides being traumatic, losing your religion is bound to leave a great big gaping hole in your psyche. I believe the mind exerts a very strong influence over the health of the body and that hole needs to be filled with something positive enough to replace the JW myth of certainty.

If you don't know how to play a musical instrument, why not learn how? If you've never done volunteer work for a local charity, why not volunteer? If you don't know how to speak a foreign language why not learn one? If you don't know how to cook, or garden, or paint, why not learn? If you can't read the New Testament in it's orginal language, why not enroll in a class? If none of these things appeal to you, why not go through the course catalog at your local community college and find something that does?

~tom (Who worries about many of you)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    If you don't know how to play a musical instrument, why not learn how? If you've never done volunteer work for a local charity, why not volunteer? If you don't know how to speak a foreign language why not learn one? If you don't know how to cook, or garden, or paint, why not learn? If you can't read the New Testament in it's orginal language, why not enroll in a class? If none of these things appeal to you, why not go through the course catalog at your local community college and find something that does?

Very good advice. I know most people, myself included feel that need to fill a void. Or just have something more positive to bring your spirits up...
    Things are always much better when you have something you really enjoy going on in your life.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

the thing is, it's hard to learn how to live like normal people when you never have. It took me a long time to get over many JW beliefs, and make friends, but it is worth the effort to be happy and free. The hardest thing to accept is that I am OK, just as nice and just as good as anyone else. Thanks for the advice, and you are right to worry - it is a tough road.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Excellent advice Tom.

Thanks for sharing it.

Open Mind

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is good advice Tom. All these things pale in relation to a mindset that thinks it's been serving the God of the universe and now has to get used to not thinking that way and making sense of what life is about if it just includes learning to cook or whatever. The question 'is this what my life is all about haunts everything you do after you believed you knew exactly why you were here and help others achieve eternal life. Talk a depressed individual into spending years of their life serving The God of Life and then find a substitute when their doubts outweigh their logic and belief. It is a tall order. Best to be around other people if possible who are compassionate. That's all really!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Thanks Tom. Leaving the organization without proper support, therapy and probably some drugs can affect you deeply. But then I think back in the day when sisters were always "into" something like "parties...Tupperware, Bake ware, Candle, make-up, vitamins etc. A lot of jws have a lot of issues that they just keep to themselves. I remember the Iradology phase, special Tea phases, millions of dietary phases. Besides trying to make a little money without cleaning someone elses home these women need more than what they are getting.

I joined a children's theatre group, took opera, have a good job. Got a dog. Wish I had this website way back then.

I still feel like an odd one but then that's the way it is.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Old thread

As side note; if you have a job without health insurance, you may have the cumlitive effect of negecting your body. If medical cost keeps you from the Dr when symptoms start, sooner or later it can be major. Small business may pay you just enough that you can't qualify for medicaid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit