Orphan or Alternative Thanksgiving Plans?

by bigwilly 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

So, like many of us, I find myself sans family for the holidays. I'm only on speaking terms with my sisters, one cousin, an aunt and an uncle. My sisters are several hours drive away and I have to work Friday (grrr). The aunt, uncle and cousin are closer but we're not really close or family-like that way. So, I officially have no plans. After 11+ years out you'd think I'd be used to it by now. When I was married, I was always involved with my partners family traditions and got to experience the holidays that way. At the time I can't say I was always stoked, but now that it's not there I feel a little jilted.

So, rather than participate in one of my usual distractions, I thought I would see what the other sans-family folks had going on. I'd love to hear what you have planned or will be doing and whatever ideas anyone would like to throw my way.

ps - I'm not overly sad or mopey, just unsure what to do with myself

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I spent about 14 years inactive with no witness interaction and not involved with worldly friends. It was OK but not really much fun. Slept in, watched movies, didn't want to see others having fun and feeling a part of something.

For the last 3 years (since finding JWD and the truth about the 'truth') I have reconnected with an old friend - ex jw. I spend holidays with them and am now part of the family and even have my own designated responsibilities.

I love it.

-Denise.

PS: I just re-read that and hope I'm not gloating.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just a thought:

I'd happily share a drumstick and a brew with ya if I was up that way!

Portland Restaurants Open for Thanksgiving Dinner

Eating out on Thanksgiving has lots of benefits. You get to enjoy some tasty food with friends and family without having to stress over all the preparation and cleaning. Of course, only certain restaurants stay open for Thanksgiving Day. Here's a guide to some of your best options.

Daily Grill
    750 SW Alder Street
    (503) 294-7001
    Beginning at 4 p.m. the Daily Grill will serve a special Thanksgiving meal. For $29.95, you can choose an appetizer, your entree (turkey or prime rib) plus a dessert.

Harborside
    0309 Southwest Montgomery Street
    (503) 220-1865
    Take in the river view as you dine on traditional Thanksgiving fare. In addition to turkey, there will be fish and vegetarian options. $19.95 per person.

Huber’s
    411 SW Third Ave
    (503) 228-5686
    Turkey dinner is a tradition at Huber’s, so it’s a popular spot for Thanksgiving.

There’s a special menu that includes traditional turkey, baked ham, seafood and filet mignon. Each three-course meal includes soup or salad and dessert. $22.95 - $33.95 per person.

Wildwood
    1221 NW 21st Avenue
    (503) 248-9663
    The menu changes daily at Wildwood, and Thanksgiving is no exception. Choose from soups, salads, and a variety of entrees including turkey. Dinner is served from 2 – 7:30 and entrées range from $19 – $34.

Heathman Restaurant
    1001 SW Broadway
    (503) 790-7126
    A Portland favorite for Thanksgiving dinner, the Heathman offers both an all-you-can-eat buffet and a sit-down dinner. Both options are $46.95 per person.

The Rheindlander
    5035 NE Sandy Boulevard
    (503) 288-5503
    If you have a group of four or more, you can enjoy the "Thanksgiving Feast" which includes turkey, pork loin, sausage, fondue, soup or salad, yams, potatoes and pumpkin pie! Or anyone can order from their special menu. Entrées turkey and prime rib and all meals come with swiss cheese fondue and your choice of soup or salad. Dinner ranges from $17.95 – $26 per person and is served from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.

• Mum
    Mum

My friend LaVerne and I are going out.

Last year, LaVerne and I cooked for ourselves and four other folks who don't have family locally.

Volunteering at a church food kitchen would be a good way to spend the day if you are inclined to doing volunteer work.

In any case, make it a happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,

SandraC

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

My family is all in Eastern Washington, the desert part. I'm over by Seattle about 2 /12-3 hours away. So I'm not going there this thursday. I'm going to T-day with some other ex JW friends of mine, both me and my partner. We're all going to the home of another gay couple--friends of my friends, people I haven't met yet.

When I was still a JW but fading, I worked at Fred Meyer. So I'd see the sales and get groceries, and mom would cook a turkey dinner, we just didn't do it ON T day. Then we'd either drive up to Snoqualmie pass and play in the snow, adults dogs and kids, or go see a movie. I miss being close to family for the simple things.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

We had our Thanksgiving in October. I spent it at home with my bird. I made a nice dinner for myself.

W

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Ok kids, a few things.

Part of why I brought this up is that my oldest and dearest friend in Oregon said he usually throws an orphan Thansgiving dinner.I thought it was kind of a cool idea, but don't really feel like throwing one together myself (I'm a lazy bastard). Plus it makes for a mildly interesting topic :D

Secondly, I have plans fairly well figured out.

Tonight I'm going to a local bar for some interesting music (not my usual metal flavor) accompannied by some fantastic friends, Scotch and a pint or 2 or 5.

Tomorrow, sleep in. . . . .oh, and do some laundry before going to the sports bar for football and homemade Greek Thansgiving dinner *drooool* (love the people I meet, I gotta tell ya).

Friday, work but likely for half a day or so. Then I'm thinking of catching The Dwarves (old punk) show in town and possible tearing up downtown Portland, or I'll come back to my neighborhood and hang with some friends. Either way much fun shall be had.

The rest of the weekend is open. I owe my sisters both a phone call So that'll be in there somewhere along with general mischief making

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit