Opinion: Gnostic view of Jehovah

by feenx 5 Replies latest jw friends

• feenx
    feenx

Hey all :)

So I've been reading up many things gnostic (I know, better late than never right?) and when I read about their theory on Jehovah my jaw just about dropped to the floor and I found it to be a very interesting and intriguing that in many ways made sense with how Jehovah was/is portrayed by the JW's. E.g. God is Love is and his creation of the Earth was an act of love, only good intentions, but when his authority was challenged by the Devil and mankind was sold into the slavery of sin suddenly expression of that love was based on the proper use of freewill.

Regardless of what's true and what isn't, since at this point I can't say YES that is something I firmly believe, to anything in any realm of beliefs, whether it's Christianity or Eastern religion or whatever. Well other than Scientology. I can't ever see myself taking anything whacko Tom Cruise says as accurate. But the thought that Jehovah was/is an arrogant under God or lesser God and that in fact the serpent "enticing" Eve to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and bad was a good thing, to incite true knowledge instead of what was presented to them, is a fascinating idea to me.

And it's something that I see still displayed today with JW's, obviously. Today instead of questioning God direct it's the FDS, and the rest of the world is the same as the tree of knowledge, and anyone taking from that tree, thereby disregarding and not putting blind trust in what has been given to them, is following the course of the Devil, which is inheritantly evil. Again, rather than knowing for yourself you are to trust what's told to you, because the source is pure. Well we all know the FDS is NOT pure, and the concept that Jehovah is unpure as well despite being a creator is very mind opening.

What are your thoughts on the Gnostic view of Jehovah?

• Tara
    Tara

I don't know a lot about Gnosticism, but I read "Jehovah Unmasked" by Nathaniel J. Merritt which deals with Gnosticism a little bit. That book fascinated me because it explains the sharp difference between Jehovah, the God of the Old Testament and Jesus' father, the God of the New in the only way I can reconcile the difference in my mind.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gnosticism is closer reflection of reality, than is christian theology. Gnosticism posits that a blind, ignorant god created the universe. The violence in the mechanics of the universe, and everything eating everything else in nature are evidence of just that.

S

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

In this context, Satan comes to symbolize the rebellion against tyrannical god(s) and moral concepts which stifle human ascent.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

and GOD [the FDS] said, of every tree [book], you may eat [read], but of the tree of knowledge [apostate literature] you may not eat [read] lest you shall die [be disfellowshipped]....

• Borgia
    Borgia

There are loads of myths concerned with the gods with holding knowledge to earthlings......or becoming infuriated on learning that humankind has learned a thing or two without the gods being either involved or sanctioning the act...... when comparing all these myths one things for sure.....the gods do not like independent thinking. They hate humanity to become knowledgeable.It smacks to much of keep them dumb and I keep them poor..... Cheers Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit