Sports and JW's

by beksbks 7 Replies latest social physical

• beksbks
    beksbks

I went and saw the Niner's get beaten by the darn Rams today. Grrrrrrr

Anyway, I don't remember a single bit of sports talk when I was growing up JW. Nothing, except my family played golf, and my dad watched it. Is or was there some sort of frowning upon it by the org?

By the way (Dinah), I cry every single time I hear The Star Spangled Banner in person .

• Gopher
    Gopher

Actually, it depends on the hall. In some, there are few if any sports fans. In others, there are quite a few (mostly guys) who do enjoy televised sports. I'd talk about Minnesota sports teams with my friends at the hall (if I knew they were fans), because it was a change of pace from the boring meeting! And we often got together to watch all kinds of sports, including football (the American kind, which some in the organization said was too violent). Even elders I knew loved watching football on TV.

Yes the organization did talk about too much TV watching including sports, and said not to watch violent sports. The only ones who followed that last rule are those who didn't much like sports anyhow.

• R.F.
    R.F.

There were quite a few that discussed sports in the Kingdom Hall, even though a couple of elders were so against ones talking about such things there. Overall, sports, especially football, is a big thing with alot of the local JWs.

With the organisation of course, alot of something not harmless is just as harmful as something that actually is. Obession with sports is definitely frowned upon, and watching the violent ones, like what Gopher already mentioned.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I think it depends on the area. Not all congregations are created equal. The hall I grew up in was insane about sports. All the elders played football in high school (WHILE they were witnesses) and there were actually touch football games behind the kingdom hall during work days. The area is very big into sports, hunting, and fishing. Basically if the witnesses tnere aren't doing theocratic stuff they're doing one of those three. I also have some friends in Ohio that literally worship Ohio State football. I saw pictures of a party once, everyone was dressed up in jerseys, had their faces painted, and they even had a cake made for the occassion. I couldn't help but think we were going to see a picture just like them in a Watchtower about putting Jehober first or something. I could see the caption "Is this activity something Christians should get involved in?"

A lot of us seem to think that every congregation is exactly like our own.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    By the way (Dinah)....

Wow, I got the wrong person there, sorry Dinah. It was someone else with a cat avatar :-)

• justhuman
    justhuman

their only sport is called "door knocking at 10.00 am"

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is true that JWs will treat you like a chicken and coop you up and clip your wings to stop you flying into freedom and only feed you stuff that forces you to lay eggs on peoples doorsteps. Whatever you do feels like you are cooped up!

• blondie
    blondie

Watch the faces of male jw sports fans when you "suggest" that there will be no place for the NFL etc in their new system. It seems that for them paradise will still include a trip to the stadium to see the Packers beat the Lions.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit