has anyone ever been DF'd for voting?

by inkling 8 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

Like the topic says: Have you ever heard of someone
    being disfellowshipped or reproved for voting?

[ink]

p.s.
    Technically, it is "A Conscience Matter", but I can't
    help thinking that is loaded double-speak:

"If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator."

"The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot."

"Or what if individuals, while not legally obliged to vote, are severely penalized in some way if they do not go to the polling booth? In these and similar situations, a Christian has to make his own decision. "Each one will carry his own load."—Galatians 6:5.
    There may be people who are stumbled when they observe that during an election in their country, some Witnesses of Jehovah go to the polling booth and others do not. They may say, ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses are not consistent.’ People should recognize, though, that in matters of individual conscience such as this, each Christian has to make his own decision before Jehovah God."

• llbh
    llbh

Hi inkling,

At the very least u would be viewed as bad association and have any privileges removed Not sure what present position is though I am registered as postal voter and i do vote to.

regards llbh

• marmot
    marmot

My cousin's husband was essentially disfellowshipped for supporting the Liberal Party. He owns a fairly large company and once you get that big it's inevitable that you have to start currying favors to get ahead.

Thing is, he wasn't really disfellowshipped but was considered "disassociated by his actions" to avoid the legal loophole.

• White Dove
    White Dove

How does anyone know about what people do? I don't get it. Am I the only sneaky one? In any congregation I've ever been in, I could get away with anything as long as I was careful and didn't get caught. How do you get caught, anyway, if you're alone and don't tell on yourself?

• undercover
    undercover
    How does anyone know about what people do? I don't get it. Am I the only sneaky one? In any congregation I've ever been in, I could get away with anything as long as I was careful and didn't get caught. How do you get caught, anyway, if you're alone and don't tell on yourself?

Yep, the key is to keep your mouth shut about your activities and opinions.

If you carry on unapproved conduct with others from the hall, you have to be careful that one of the other people don't have pangs of guilt and confess or squeal on the others.

As for voting, I would guess that you could probably get away with it fairly easy as long as you don't go around talking about it. On the other hand, though, in the US voting registration records are public. Anyone who feels energetic and nosy enough can look up the records to see how if someone registered and if they registed as Dem, Rep or Ind. If another JW stumbled upon that info and it got back to the elders, then you're going to have a witch hunt on your hands.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'd consider it a privilege to get disfellowshipped for voting. I vote all the time, every chance I get.

• bsmart
    bsmart

I remember (40+) years ago a couple who made no bones about being registered , They felt that they got notices about (homeowners) property issues etc that they were interested in. They didn't vote (as far as anyone knew) but were on the rolls. They were prominent in the area.

• steve2
    steve2

I have never ever heard of a JW being DF'd for voting. I agree with White Dove: How would other jWs ever know you had voted - unless that person or persons were foolhardy enough to announce it to other JWs.?

In some countries such as Australia all adult citizens are required by law to turn up to their polling booth and vote. However, I hear that those who do not vote or who do not support any of the political candidates or parties simply put a line through their ballot sheet.

I know of JWs who obey the law by turning up to their local polling booth but,of course, proudly declare later to their brothers and sisters that they "loved"putting a line through all candidates'names - thus nullifying their voting ballot sheet.

BTW, secret rebel that I am, I voted in several political elections before I left the organization.

It was my business - and absolutely no one else's and I never felt the need to "confess" engaging in a duty that I have long believed is every citizen's duty.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its one of those things that if your full time JW giving talks and going out in service etc., if you were noted to be involved in politics and voting that

you would most likely get a talking to and may even be told that you cant give talks and go out in service until you stop voting.

They probably wont DF you though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit