Mr Porter Sentenced!

by triplestrength 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• triplestrength
    triplestrength

Just saw the news here this evening in the UK. Mr Porter who was in the news a few weeks ago who was convicted of crimes against children in his care, now living in London but formally from the Bristol area has had his case looked at again and is on his way to Jail for an 18 month sentence.

Sorry guys dont know how to do the link thingy BUT it will be on the BBC webpage as it was the BBC I was Watching.

Now that's what I call "Good News"

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's the link you're looking for: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7094591.stm

Paedophile jailed for 18 months A paedophile who was originally given a Community Rehabilitation Order by a judge has been jailed for 18 months.

Michael Porter had previously pleaded guilty to 25 cases of indecent assault on a male and committing gross indecency with or towards a child.

Porter, 38, of Okehampton Close, north London, had his case examined after the Attorney General referred it under the Unduly Lenient Sentence Scheme.

Baroness Scotland said it was right to refer the case to the Court of Appeal.

She added: "I referred the sentence given to Michael Porter to the Court of Appeal because I considered that the sentence did not adequately reflect the seriousness of the offences, the offender's culpability, the harm caused to the victims and the need to deter others and protect the public."

Porter was originally sentenced in August by Bristol Crown Court to a Community Rehabilitation Order for a period of three years with a requirement that he attend a sex offender programme.

He was also banned from working with anyone under the age of 18 and put on the Sex Offenders Register.

The judge opted not to jail Porter after hearing he had undergone therapy and was a changed man.

An Avon and Somerset Police spokeswoman said she was pleased the sentence had been reconsidered and that a custodial sentence was justified.

When Porter was originally sentenced, his sister Tina Hughes said she was "disgusted" with the decision.

She said: "The fact that he's my brother, it saddens me. But he did the crime and now he's paying for it. I'm really pleased.

"He needed to be punished."

Porter carried out the assaults between 1986 and 2000 in the Clevedon area of North Somerset.

• triplestrength
    triplestrength

Thank you for that, glad others are more on the ball than me.

He will not have a good time in prison. If he chooses to be segregated from the main prison population as a sex offender (and he'd be mad not to) then the other offenders will give him a hard time as a "witness". It's quite possible that he'll have to serve the whole time sentanced as he will be involved in trouble designed to keep him in from the other inmates.

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Triplestrength, Thanks for the info I have been watching out for this but must have missed it. Glad to se he received a custodial sentence. I hoped for a longer on though.

Keep posting regards llbh

• Gadget
    Gadget
    He will not have a good time in prison. If he chooses to be segregated from the main prison population as a sex offender (and he'd be mad not to) then the other offenders will give him a hard time as a "witness". It's quite possible that he'll have to serve the whole time sentanced as he will be involved in trouble designed to keep him in from the other inmates.

He won't have a choice about being segregated, he'll be automatically classified as a 'rule 43' to avoid disruption in the ordinarys. The other vp's will have done at lot worse than what he has, so he won't stand out because of that, and jw's are not uncommon in prisons so that won't be an issue either. If the sentance was 18 months he'll probably have an automatic release date of 9months, or even 7-8 months if he's eligible for tagging.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit