Does this make since ....

by 2112 1 Replies latest social family

Since JW's can not even step one foot inside a church, temple or what have you, because just going inside is a act of worship. Then how can they go inside a hospital or medical facility that is owned and operated be another religion. EspeciaIly if the hospital has a chapel. I am not saying that they should not seek medical care, however I know of a few JW's who were told they had to quit their jobs because their employers we affiliated with another religion.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I'll try to help.

First the premise "JW's cannot step inside a church, it's worship" isn't exactly right. From what I saw, JW's were strongly discouraged from ever going inside a church. I saw a couple different churches as a tourist (while I was JW) and didn't feel I was worshipping, just visiting. One time I even went to a co-worker's funeral at a large Lutheran church. It's up to the JW's conscience, and whether they're afraid to be seen entering or leaving such a building.

As far as going inside a hospital that is managed by a church -- sometimes there is no alternative. I had an emergency (kidney stone) while up visiting a friend, and the nearest hospital that he (a JW elder) trusted was a Catholic-run hospital in St.Cloud, Minnesota. I also had surgery done at Saint John's hospital in Saint Paul while a JW because that is where my doctor was affiliated.

But as far as being employed and paid by another reliigion, to a JW that might be considered as affiliation with "Babylon the Great", which they define as all religions other than theirs. So being paid by them is quite different than visiting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit