Wings of Desire

by monophonic 8 Replies latest jw friends

• monophonic
    monophonic

someone just spoke of angels in another discussion and it reminded me of the film "Wings of Desire" by Wim Wenders.

i remember when i came out in the late 80's and how people were saying what a horrible film it was b/c it was about angels wanting to be human and then they'd quote, what, was it noah's day. (the former things are passing away from my mind, yay!).

anyway, it's a beautiful film and i highly recommend it.

yet these same people are ok with "Hamlet" b/c its a classic, yet it's all about the dead haunting the living.

on another note, i was talking to the cat tonite and my wife said, 'what' and i said, 'the cat's talking to me' and she said, 'oh, is he speaking english again' and i said, 'yes, he's saying "i am legend"' and she got pissed and i replied, 'just reading the bible outloud honey'.

i'm babbling b/c i've worked eight hours straight without a break and now about to tackle a glass of sapphire on the rocks and some zone out tv.

i love you until the end of the world,
    mono

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im kind of interested in the 'talking cat sparks biblical domestic dispute' story! LMAO!

At least your cat wasnt getting pissy with you in a bible based way!

• justhuman
    justhuman

mmm

• monophonic
    monophonic

yeah, for some reason i have conversations with my cat and speak his parts in english, but in a mexican accent. it's really weird, b/c when i start speaking in the mexican accent he starts purring right away....he knows i'm giving him attention or something.

plus, when he gets all whacked out, like many cats do, i always say 'i see dead people' just like from .....ugh, what's that film?

yes, i've tried to get my wife to watch films like 'constantine' etc. and i tell her my "demo-meter" is relied on the bible, if it's scarier than the stories in the bible, aka, the 'i am legend' story and jesus casts the demons to the pigs who hurl themselves off a cliff, then i won't watch the film.....it's my little dig that the bible is more "demonized" than any film that hollywood could come up with.

• zack
    zack

Did you say you "came out" in the 80's? Did I read that right?

• monophonic
    monophonic

oops, missing "t" and it means something a whole lot different. when it came out in the 80's...

my laptop has a way of skipping letters and adding letters on its own sometimes.

i came out in 90's.

not in any sexual way, but as no longer being a jw. :)

• blueviceroy
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

this movie had one of my favourite u2 songs in the soundtrack - faraway so close

and it was remade with meg ryan and nicolas cage as city of angels - which has my favourite alanis morrisette song - uninvited - in the soundtrack as well as peter gabriel - i grieve, u2 - if god will send his angels, goo goo dolls - iris and sarah mclachlin - angel.

rubbish movies though

just kidding - i havent seen either of them although i think maybe i should

• monophonic
    monophonic

i couldn't bring myself to see the remake. definitely see the wenders' film before considering city of angels.

wings of desire has a couple of nick cave songs and the bad seeds as well as crime and the city solution perform live in it. it was such a moment of time b/c it kind of captured the music scene of berlin during those years as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit