Mega churches under the Microscope

by Amnesty Vendor 4 Replies latest social current

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

How will this affect WTS?

Will they also be called on the carpet?

Will they testify as friend of the court?

Original article

For Immediate Release

November 6th, 2007

GRASSLEY SEEKS INFORMATION FROM SIX MEDIA-BASED MINISTRIES

"I’m following up on complaints from the public and news coverage regarding certain practices at six ministries," Grassley said. "The allegations involve governing boards that aren’t independent and allow generous salaries and housing allowances and amenities such as private jets and Rolls Royces. I don’t want to conclude that there’s a problem, but I have an obligation to donors and the taxpayers to find out more. People who donated should have their money spent as intended and in adherence with the tax code."

Grassley wrote to Randy and Paula White of Without Walls International Church and Paula White Ministries of Tampa, Fla.; Benny Hinn of World Healing Center Church, Inc. and Benny Hinn Ministries of Grapevine, Texas; David and Joyce Meyer of Joyce Meyer Ministries of Fenton, Mo.; Kenneth and Gloria Copeland of Kenneth Copeland Ministries of Newark, Texas; Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church and Bishop Eddie Long Ministries of Lithonia, Ga., and Creflo and Taffi Dollar of World Changers Church International and Creflo Dollar Ministries of College Park, Ga.

Grassley has reviewed a wide range of non-profit issues over the last five years, first as Finance Committee chairman and now as ranking member. The committee has exclusive Senate jurisdiction over federal tax policy, including the policy governing the billions of dollars donated to and controlled by the nation’s tax-exempt groups.

Letter to Randy and Paula White

Letter to Pastor Benedictus Hinn

Letter to David and Joyce Meyer

Letter to Bishop Eddie L. Long

Letter to Creflo and Taffi Dollar

Letter to Kenneth and Gloria Copeland

Tampa Tribune article

St. Louis Post-Dispatch article

• Gopher
    Gopher

FYI -- A couple threads have opened on this subject:

Yesterday: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/145925/1.ashx

Today: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/146007/1.ashx

I'm glad attention is being brought to this kind of abuse. IMHO religions should pay their fair share of taxes. Grassley is doing a good job looking at the major names, hopefully if you can get some of these larger organizations under control then you can address other ones like the WTS at some point later.

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Sorry for the repitition.

You 'postates sure are on top of what's happening.

Maybe you should print a magazine and call it 'Wake!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I have mixed feeling about this mainly because the US government just wastes tax money on imperialistic ventures and little is spent on helping the poor with medical, housing, and other social services. So the less these blood suckers get the better until they change thier agenda and do some humanitary good with this money.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Frankiespeakin,

I tend to agree with you regarding the fact that the government spends precious little on things that will actually benefit the people.

Not that I am advocating more of a welfare state but I do feel that money is mostly being channelled to the war machine which is deplorable. Meanwhile, we have bridges falling down and failing infrastructure, institutions, etc. in the so-called richest country in the world. It is really enough to make you sick.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit