The spiritual bully

by Hiddenwindow 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

The Watch Tower falsely claims that the entire international Witness brotherhood holds to the same way of thinking on doctrinal matters; that all members in the congregation who are good Christians deeply believe in whatever the “faithful and discreet slave” provides. But, is it so?

Well, one thing is to pretend that you are in agreement with whatever is presented to you and something very different is to really believe in it. It must be reminded that nowadays, in most mainstream religious groups, political parties or other forms of social groups, absolute uniformity in the way of thinking is not a prerequisite to join, because those groups recognize that such uniformity is not possible. In other words, it is required that the adherents submit to the core believes or the organized entity, but even if the members declare that they do not hold to certain believe or procedure, there is no judicial process; no intimidation; no threats of proclaiming you an outcast; no threats of eternal death either. Such methods of intimidation can be found only in the cults or sects, which is exactly what the Jehovah’s Witness organization is. But even if we were to find those types of methods everywhere else, they are a clear attack against human dignity anyways.

Compulsory agreement is no agreement at all. It is very simple. If someone kidnaps my child and asks me to pay him a million dollars as a ransom, and I obey his wishes, taking into consideration all the implications of not proceeding in accordance, who on earth would have the guts to say that such transaction was a voluntary agreement between the kidnapper and myself? Now, imagine that instead of asking me for a million dollars, the abductor informs me that all he wants me to do is to read the Watchtower magazine and believe without question whatever I find there, regardless of how much of it seems to be non-sense. What do you think I should do? Since I profoundly love my child, I will not hesitate to say: Yes, sir, indeed, I have read it, and I believe it all; I even believe it more than the writer himself.

You certainly get the point. The Watch Tower does things in more subtle ways, of course, but the principle remains. Although many Witnesses joined the cult because it was a belief system that looked appealing to them, they now hold to it due to systematic intimidation. The “faithful and discreet slave” has become a spiritual bully.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    The “faithful and discreet slave” has become a spiritual bully.

The way they explain the "faithful and discreet slave" the slave has no real control or authority over anyone or anything. The Governing Body is the controlling authority, and within that body Jaracz reigns supreme.

But, when it comes to the Governing Body, they did not become a spiritual bully. When you refer to someone becoming something they had to start out as something else. The Governing Body has ALWAYS been a spiritual bully.

The International Bible Students were not always spiritual bullies, but there has never been a time when Jehovah's Witnesses (as a religion) were not spiritual bullies.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow
    The way they explain the "faithful and discreet slave" the slave has no real control or authority over anyone or anything

Although, in fact, the "faithful and discreet slave" in non-existent and everything comes from the governing body, the Watch Tower points out that every piece of information the Witnesses receive comes from the "slave class", therefore it can be properly asserted that it is the so called "slave" who acts as a bully. In reference to your statement about the Witness religion having been a bully from the start, Raymond Franz's books demonstrate that it is not the case. This cult started as a modest and even mild group of Christians who had no intentions of controlling people's lives.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Not to take away from Hidden windows excellent post above.

HW - Raymond Franz's books demonstrate that it is not the case.

I think that you and Auld Soul are talking two different things. True, the original IBSA was a non denominational inter religious movement and Russell did not start out to be a bully, but eventually did as is argued in Penton's Apocalypse Delayed. Comments Russell made even early on implied he had some special gift, knowledge or contact with the divine. He once wrote that people who read the bible without his books would go into spiritual darkness within 2 years. That is spiritual bullying, no matter how sincere he was about it.

Since people bought into it and came under his tutelage, he started to bully the IBStudent even if only in a gradual way. First he brought in structured meetings with a tighter and tighter agenda. Then the arbitrary rules started and so it went until he passed on the towel.

That being said, Auld Soul's comment doesn't disagree with what you say or what I wrote above. Auld Soul puts the bullying on the "Jehovah's Witnesses" and the mastermind of the true JW FDS doctrine. That bullying which is undeniable, was merely intensified when Rutherford took over. It became an art foem by the time that group of Bible Students that was following him took on the new name.

Forgive me for speaking on his behalf, but that is what I believe he referred to when he said "there has never been a time when Jehovah's Witnesses (as a religion) were not spiritual bullies".

That is the simple truth for clarity

Frank75

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about intentionally raising children to be helpless outside the cult? Even if they were to successfully fade, many find it impossible to function outside the cult because they were not trained to function. Their language is loaded, and their attitudes are shaped by a cult that excludes outsiders except to bring them in.

They are also often held captive by jobs and apartments. When I was a Witless, my study conductor twice wanted me to move into an apartment where he was the manager, and once to move in with him in the same apartment. His brother's family has alluded to having me move in with them once (they are Witlesses, too). I have also seen this arrangement of Witless roommates and Witless landlords more times than I care to. Plus, I have been drawn into my current job as an attempt to get a whole crew of Witlesses (and I thank their Satan that the store manager changed and the new manager got rid of the Witlesses and kept me).

When this happens, the victim will have more than just family if they leave the Tower. Fading isn't an option since the roommate, landlord, or boss will rat them out for missing meetings. If I miss a meeting and then show up for work, there goes my sick excuse. And if I have a Witless landlord or roommate, they will rat me out if I try to blow off meetings. And, if I move in with a Witless family, missing meetings can be altogether impossible as I get dragged to them, forced to go along with a religion that I no longer believe in. Not to mention having to stay out in field circus all fxxxing day because everyone in that family chooses to have me out there.

Good thing I never moved in with either of those Witless families. Also, I am glad that all the Witlesses in that initial crew either got fired or quit without giving any notice. I am the only one of that group left, and I turned apostate. Now I can skip all the meetings I feel like (up to the number of meetings that there are to skip). And I haven't put in a single yoctosecond of field circus since mid 2005. Without these extra eyes, they are going to have to waste a lot of time trying to bust me.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That was an excellent post HW.

When I saw the header I thought it might be referring to people like my father.

I call him a Jehovah's Terrorist and have described him as a Watchtower bully to my mother.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit