How sinister is this? If you thought you knew how bad GM food was...

by Mr Ben 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Ben
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are several principles of experimentation that I need to see in action before I can take the stand for it. The first is fully integrated honesty. This is not being put in action! Monsanto is too damn lazy to continue working once they have a product that will SORT OF work, so we are left with dangerous products. If they were fully honest, they would be looking for the potential problems and working them out before they become serious (and we can see, with the bees dying off, that it is more serious than they are willing to admit). Close your eyes to it, and thus avoid the work of finding better solutions.

The other major one is voluntarily accepted risks. It is one thing for me to willingly accept risks of eating foods that have never been introduced into the food supply before, with the view of possibly improving and eliminating some of the problems. This is not happening within Monsanto. They are forcing people to take the risks, usually without honestly disclosing those risks. I went to Monsanto's official site, and from that you would think they are saving the world with their genetically modified crops. This is not being honest, nor are they allowing people to opt out.

Not only that, but their genetically modified crap is spreading to where it is not wanted. Worse, they have the audacity to sue the victims for benefiting from the technology. That is like my suing a neighbor for me dumping radioactive waste from a nuclear power plant and then claiming that they were benefiting from the product. This is not ethnical. It is an attempt to drive independent farmers out of business so they can control the whole world food supply.

And their experiments are not always for the benefit of man. Instead, they are working on terminator seeds (that is, seeds that will not sprout) so the poor farmers need to buy new Monsanto seed every year instead of saving seed. There are doubtlessly plans for drugs to be incorporated into the genes of the crops, so everyone will be forced to take medication via the normal food intake. This is not giving the public the free choice to opt out of taking those drugs. Note that this, unlike the blood transfusion that almost always is an emergency, is "preventive" medicine that almost always sows disease conditions that benefit drug companies by making people buy additional drugs from them.

No, I am not totally against genetically modified foods. First, some happens naturally when cross-pollination happens in nature. And, if people were willing to produce better food instead of high priced crap and do the honest work, genetically modified foods could be made that would use less water, break down pollution from pesticides, and provide better nutrition instead of providing pesticide effects, polluting the environment, and putting poisons in the food while growing. It would also mean much more work to get the product right, since maybe 1% is getting the product to look and act better and 99% to get it to really be better. And, traditional foods would have to continue to be available for those not willing to accept the risks. Finally, those who choose to accept the risk of eating genetically modified foods that have not been perfected must be told what those risks are and willingly accept those risks. Only then can we safely have these products.

Shame on you, Monsanto!

• marmot
    marmot

While I'm not a proponent of GM foods, I have to strain everything that Dr. Joseph Mercola says with a very fine sieve.

This is the same man who opposes vaccinations and says microwaving food is dangerous to your health. He also believes homeopathy is real.

There's a lot of common sense that comes into play concerning what we feed ourselves with. I think it's counter-productive to get swept up in fear, though.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't agree with everything Mercola comes up with.

Like all writers on health, some of what he says is gold and some is crap.

The hard part, is sorting out which is which.

I wish you good luck trying.

Cheers

Chris

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

This guy takes 50% fact and 50% unproven speculation and weaves it into a deceptive mix that is utterly convincing to most people without a science education.

So, yes, that is sinister. He could quite probably persuade people to do something really stupid, but only those who wouldn't realise they were doing something really stupid because they were deceived by his smooth patter; let's not forget that he is also making money out of sick people.

He distrusts vaccination (remind you of the JW's) and advocatesm people who believe in 'healing angels' describing one as a 'master energy therapist of energy psychology'.

I stopped listning to segment one of the video after two major deceptive or contradictory arguments were used in it.

Oh. I personally believe anyone moaning about GM food who owns a dog like a Peke that has been so distorted by 'genetic modification' it isn't fit to survive should be chained to a lampost and laughed at,

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Quote Abbaddon: "I stopped listning to segment one of the video after two major deceptive or contradictory arguments were used in it. "

Well, don't just keep us in suspense, let us know....

As for GM being the same as cross pollination or breeding dogs, gene insertion technology has no comparison in nature, unless you think it is likely that a sperm from a modern halibut is likely in nature to cross pollinate a modern carrot. :)

Incidentally, this is just a link from Mercola's site to another one.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The bottom line is this:

About 1 in a 1,000,000 people might be allergic to GM food and die.

I'm just wondering if we are going to let the other 999,999 people starve to death in order to prevent that one allergic reaction.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I don't know if 1 in 1,000,000 is true. And that the other 999,999 would automatically die without GM is not true. It's a false dilemma. Come on, we have seen the Witchtower herself use false dilemma's often enough.

Doesn't anyone else find it deplorable and sinister that the US Govt and Monsanto are in each others pockets and are suing 9,000 US farmers for having THEIR land accidentally contaminated by Monsanto's patented GM seeds? Monsanto should be sued to remove their GM crops from the farmer's land and pay compensation.

And isn't there a frightful potential possibility that either deliberately as a weapon or accidentally as food aid GM seeds with the terminator gene will cross-pollinate non GM crops around the world?

Why not watch the video first, even if the link is from a "doctor" who has some whacko ideas.

• freydi
  • MissingLink
    MissingLink

The claims GM food is dangerous is complete nonsense. Any reputable biologist with a reasonable understanding of DNA should be able to tell you this.

I agree that patenting genes is wrong. Companies can still profit from their research by being first to market.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit