Why? - Is it just me?

by IMHO 6 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

Am I the only one that is wound up by the way the watchtower writers speak down to their readers in their writing style. For instance; with regard to the use of the word "Why"? For example this last weeks watchtower paragraph 17 said "The finest way to show mercy to those outside the Christian congregation is to share Bible truth with them. Why? Because the majority of mankind..." I feel that it should say something like: "The finest way to show mercy to those outside the Christian congregation is to share Bible truth with them. This is because the majority of mankind..." or "... the reason being the majority of mankind..." I may be alone on this one but I'd welcome anyones thoughts.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They teach the use of questions - rhetorical and otherwise - on the TMS and service meeting so I suppsoe they are practicing what they preach

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Agreed.

That's why it became painful to read as the years passed.

Great observation, IMHO.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

It is a way to teach the rank and file how to answer questions that are bound to come as they go out and preach to others.

Leslie

• Gopher
    Gopher

They punctuate their prose with that misplaced "WHY" to wake up their inattentive readers, who need their attention drawn to what the writers think is a key point. You're right, it sounds really preachy. But you have to remember who their core audience is -- surely it's not a group of highly educated folks. (That's not meant to be a slam, it's just reflective of the fact that they discourage advanced education and critical thinking in their membership.)

• onacruse
    onacruse

There are many rhetorical methodologies designed to obfuscate the issue, and lead the listeners to the desired conclusion, without their even seeing how they were led there.

That's one of the reasons that politicians (the good ones) can talk for an hour and yet, at the end, you are left shaking your head and asking yourself: "What did they just say?"

That's also one of the reasons that you will so rarely hear a straight-up and simple "Yes" or "No" to almost any question.

So, in thatspirit, I will answer your question:

"Is it just me?"

No.

• Trevanian
    Trevanian

It's carefully designed rhetoric which appeals to the lowest common denominator amongst the readership. Also, it's parent-child-speak.

Think about how a parent speaks to a child.

"You shouldn't run into the road. Why? Because a car may come along and hit you."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit