Marriage for citizenship?

by 4mylove 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• 4mylove
    4mylove

Chatting with my hubby, he made yet another comment that made my blood boil.

He was explaining that his parents are going to Mexico for the wedding of a family friend. My hubby said he was like a brother to him, but coulnd't remember his name for a second (sad). I asked him how he could be getting married if I remembered pictures of him at his own wedding. According to my husband, his wife had cheated on him, and had been single for a while now.

I don't remember why it came up but stated that he was probably just going to return pretty quickly because he is a citizen. He stated that he had become a citizen pretty quickly because when he became a witness he decided that he didn't want to cross illegally because that just wasn't right. Of course I rolled my eyes unbeknownst to him.

I keep wondering if his wife really cheated or if he married for citizenship.

what a bunch of winners.....I want my hubby to open his eyes.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

This is probably off topic, but it has to do w/ citizenship. I remember years ago, there was a neighboring congregation (Charleston, WV) that had a family of illegal immigrants studying w/ an elder and his wife. The INS raided the place where the father was busing tables, arrested him, and locked him up somehwere in PA to await a trial for bail. There was an announcement made from the stage that funds were being collected to bail him out of jail and that the WTS was going to provide an attorney for him. What a joke!

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

"WTS was going to provide an attorney for him" We had a situation in our hall. Called NY and they instructed us to encourage him to return "home". Cited some scripture and told him he was on his own. The congregation would not aid him. If someone wanted to help him, it would be their personal decision.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I could be wrong about the attorney thing as the girl who told me was known for lying, but I know she was upset at the announcement that was made from the stage. I remember the night that it happened. The INS bit was in the news and an Elder left as soon as possible to PA to bail him out.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I could be wrong about the attorney thing as the girl who told me was known for lying, but I know she was upset at the announcement that was made from the stage. I remember the night that it happened. The INS bit was in the news and an Elder left as soon as possible to PA to bail him out.

It sounds suspect, sweetface.

As noted above, they like the additional publishers they obtain in illegal immigrants, but will do nothing to stand by them. That was my personal experience anyway.

• 4mylove
    4mylove

How is is looked upon for an individual to "study" for citizenship? Isn't this a bit wordly?

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    How is is looked upon for an individual to "study" for citizenship? Isn't this a bit wordly?

I would think so since they expect you to marry for life and for the right reasons.
    That is weird.

I keep wondering if his wife really cheated or if he married for citizenship.

Makes you wonder what his wife's side of the story was...

• monophonic
    monophonic

i had planned to marry an italian or french girl for convenience in order to get dual citizenship...then this damn thing called love smacked me upside the head, so my plan failed miserably.....but for the better since love ain't a bad reason to get married to someone.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

It depends, of what country would I become a citizen?

• dinah
    dinah

Man, don't get me started. My hubby used to work at a place where they would steal an ID, work a few weeks, get garnished or sued for child support under their fake ID---QUIT--and come back two days later with a new name.

Also, many have two ID's one for WIC or foodstamps and one for Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit