Restaurant in the old Kingdom Hall -- no more yucky (spiritual) food

by Gopher 9 Replies latest social current

• Gopher
    Gopher

The old hall in Erie, Pennsylvania is now an upscale sandwich/salad restaurant. Nice improvement !!

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/ENTERTAINMENT06/711010359

Out to Lunch: Caper's

Setting.
    Now this is a nice place. And new, too. Caper's, 2743 E. 38th St., is located at the intersection of the Bayfront Connector and 38th Street, the old home of the Jehovah's Witnesses hall. Completely transformed into this bright, airy, upscale restaurant, it's barely two weeks old. A funky lounge space greets you as walk in the door. It's two very large rooms, with signature chandeliers, faux painting on the walls, and the attention to the small details that makes the difference. Like the water glasses. Even the menu is pretty -- laced on the top of a stiff board with a tiny bow.

Fare. Given how nice the place looked, we were pretty excited about the food. The chef sends out a complimentary appetizer each day. The day we went, it was a cold radish dip, which was so subtle in flavors that it almost had none. But we weren't ready to write the place off that quickly. The French onion soup is always something that has to be tried, because almost every restaurant in Erie boasts of having the best one in town. While we had to wait a long time for it -- apparently, our order was snatched up by an overzealous server from another table -- it was worth it. A crock of lovely, beefy broth with a thick layer of provolone and buttery chunks of croutons. It was excellent, and truly one of the best we have found in this town. We sampled the Caper's house salad, which was billed as a medley of mixed field greens, tomato, cucumber, red onion and bell peppers, turkey, bacon, mozzarella and cheddar, and choice of dressing. It wasn't a very big salad, as I had hoped it would be, and was desperate for more pronounced and complex flavors. The El Cubano sandwich caught our fancy, as did the chicken salad sandwich, billed as homemade with tarragon -- a particular favorite of mine. It was delicious. The tarragon was just enough to add dimension to the overall finish of the sandwich, and the addition of cranberry raisins, celery, and green onions was not overpowering. Served with a choice of either wild rice or rotini salad, it was a still a very good choice. The El Cubano had a lovely consistency, thanks to the slow-roasted pork and turkey layered with Swiss cheese and sliced pickles. A Cubano sandwich is normally served with a strong, garlicky aoili. We ordered extra because the pungent garlic bite wasn't there. But this is really a matter of taste. Once the place gets the kinks out, it will be a winner.

Price tag. Nothing on the menu, from the sandwiches to the salads, is over $10. Soups are under $4.

-- The Unknown Critic

• hubert
    hubert

Under the faux painting, does it still say "Keep On The Watch"?

Hubert

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

the church i went to in fort lauderdale had a FABULOS restaurant in it ...........................

http://www.daily-grill.org/home.cfm

damn good eats...... didnt like the brunch buffet as well as ordering from the menu

in fact if i ever had jw relatives come into town and they didnt shun me and wanted to get a good eat on......... i was gonna be an onery bastard and take them there.......... heheheh

they even have a jw ministry

• Gopher
    Gopher

PG,

That menu needs to be shown on Jay Leno's "Headlines" segment.

"Food, Fellowship, Serving the Body of Christ" ????

No thanks, I'm not THAT hungry!!

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

im tellin you............ awesome food, place is top notch. got plasma tvs playing christian music videos........... their chocolate cake is to die for.

• Gopher
    Gopher

PG,

I believe you when you say it's good. It's just that 'serving the body of Christ' part that got me. I took it too literally. Do they serve leg of lamb?

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

nah but got plenty of jesus juice lol

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

"Food fit for Jehovah's table"

Catchy slogan, huh?

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

All this talk of repurposed Kingdom Halls reminds me of a discussion with another ex-JW a while ago, his theory was that the Society deliberately built Kingdom Halls in prime locations with basically a generic layout(i.e. no windows) just for the purpose that it would always be relatively easy to sell them off at some point and turn a nice profit. So they are less of a publishing business and more of a real estate company nowadays.

No Apologies

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

well honestly......... is there a better spot of real estate on the planet that where brooklyn bethel is located?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit