Apathy

by faundy 4 Replies latest jw friends

• faundy
    faundy

I was thinking earlier about the way that in the field service the main thing the witnesses encounter is 'apathy.' I was wondering what people think of this. Are people really more apathetic about life and the future, or do you think that they simply don't wish to discuss it on a Saturday morning with the door open, letting all the heat out of the house? Do you think ignorance really is blissful? We were taught to feel sorry for the apathetic ones, to pity them. Now, I think that in some cases ignorance really is bliss- I'd rather be classed as 'apathetic' rather than worry constantly that Armageddon is going to strike any moment and that I might be destroyed simply for doing less than my quota for service or for thinking the occasional wrongful thought about someone in the hall...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

sorr I jus' couldn't be bothered to read your post . . kinda lost conce .ntra ....tion . . .

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It is Apathy, but not the kind that JWs say it is.

IMO it is an apathetic attitude towards religious salesmen. The majority of people have no desire to join a group like the JWs. It's that simple.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Don't want to be rude.

No I don't think householders are apathetic it's just that they recognise a waste of time when it knocks on their doors. We just couldn't see it that way when we were doing the knocking.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think the JW's are absolutely right when they say most householders show apathy, which is defined as:

1.absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.
    2.lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.

From what I saw, a lot of JW's were apathetic (lacking passion) in their ministry, even those that met the national average.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit