A meditation on divorce

by Happy Harvester 1 Replies latest social family

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

I read these statements by Roger Angell from page 81 of November 2007 issue of Oprah.

Despite being an Oprhah fan, I have never purchased her mags, due to my prejudice against glossy, narcissistic-appearing rags, BUT, you gotta' take the good with the bad, especially when you're desperate for insight or comfort.

I am truly glad that I opened myself up to some more positive thinking and purchased this admittedly overly commercialized mag, as I've been suffering a bit of emotional diarhhea lately.

Now that I know I can get it online, I won't waste any more trees, though!

Anyway, the articles on "When The Going Gets Tough - 3 Rules To Pull You Through" and the brief meditation on divorce were enormously appreciated.

I never thought of divorce in this way; I'm not saying divorce is a great thing to be romanticized, but there are other perspectives, besides the "gloom and doom" one about how bad everything is "in this old world" is, as Roger Angell's words attest:

"Looking at my family now, I note there have been 11 (or 16, counting another way) divorces, spread across three generations -- more than enough for a soap, and not what its members would have invented for themselves as children. But we cannot now unimagine the new fathers and step-aunts and half brothers or sisters and half grandnieces that sit around the family tables on a Thanksgiving, or wish a life for ourselves that did not include unexpected attachments." -Roger Angell

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

If it wasn't for my horrible first marriage, I would never appreciate this second one. Being married taught me what I wanted in a mate, how to identify and abuser, and how to communicate. The horrible first marriage taught me so much about life, I can't imagine being so happy without that part of my past. Also, getting divorced was a great thing. I found it such a liberating experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit