High Control Groups

by Maddie 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Maddie
    Maddie

There seems to be very little in society that comes down to freedom of choice; by this I mean to be able to think and act in a manner that is completely without influence or manipulation from anything or anyone else. It is true that a few individuals try to isolate themselves from society in different ways, but is their decision to do this influenced by experiences they may or may not be aware of?

We all like to believe that we have the option of deciding for ourselves what we want to do with our lives, but the odds are stacked heavily against this by the control mechanisms in our society. These controls start at the top ie. governmental bodies, religious organisations etc. right down to advertisements and peer pressure.

It is true that society has to find a method of living together in relative harmony or we wouldn't survive; it is the degree of control used and whether the reasons behind that control have some genuine claims to altruism, which IMO, is the difference in whether it should be tolerated by society.

IMO all religious organisations control their members to varying degrees. However, not all of them are in the HIGH control group category. It has long been my understanding that spirituality and faith in God does not necessarily equate with religiosity and whilst some people feel the need to belong to a certain church, this is not a requisite for salvation.

Most of us on JWD have experienced to different degrees, the effects of being in one of the best examples of high control groups that is around. To see and hear the damage that has been done, supposedly in the name of God, surely cannot be right. True, the WT doesn't produce terrorists, go to war, or physically make people conform to it's authority, but does that mean that it is any less dangerous? No, just because the tactics employed by the WT are not outwardly shown by physical acts of violence doesn't mean that they aren't there; their methods are much more subtle, carried out covertly and all the more insidious for that reason.

As in all walks of life, whether it be in religious or governmental bodies, there are always individuals that have altruistic and sincere motives and this is true of the WT. This doesn't however, make it acceptable for any organisation to deceive people by pretending to be something they're not and inflicting emotional pain and suffering on them if they want to leave.

I have a friend that believes in Karma (the good/bad that we do to others comes back on ourselves). What do do think? Do you think this will be the case with the WT?

Maddie

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Karma? hey..."what goes around comes around". I believe in Karma. I've been reading books from Dr. Wayne Dyer & Deepak Chopra and they to convey that say point. Even thinking negatively about someone contributes to people thinking negatively about us. Oooops! We gotta be careful there.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you.

LINDA

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Maddie

I think we are all to a large extent the product of expereinces. I do think that the JW's are very controlling - they have to be because they know that alot of what they say is wrong. A guy we used to call on in the fs had a degree in Behavioural Pyschology and very clearly pointed it out to us how they exercise thier control. I did not agree with him then, but i now see what he meant I did not leave for about another 4 years.

I did though stay of my own free will - for far to long. It is amazing to me though how conned and stupid I was though

Regards llbh

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

While the Watchtower Society doesn't fly planes into buildings or send suicide bombs into crowds, they do produce terrorists of a different sort. The difference is that they threaten God's vengeance against anyone who doesn't join. Every time a picture of many people dying a horrible or violent death at Armageddon is placed, someone is terrorized into joining or threatened with death for not joining. Initiatory threat of force is used in these cases.

What else does the Watchtower Society produce? Window washers without education beyond the high school diploma. Stagnation. Wasted gas and energy placing magazines with articles that are essentially reprints of last year's articles. Too many rules. Effectively, it is a scam backed by threat of initiatory force. The only difference is, in the Jihadists, the members themselves use the force. In the Witlesses, they threaten that God is going to use the force.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit