lord of lords

by jonty 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jonty
    jonty

hi im new to this, thanks for all the info. i read last week the item lord of lords and found it intresting and shared it with my jw wife, but she came back with what seemed to be a good answer with psalm110 v1 and matt22 41-45 and it seemed to make sense, what are your thoughts, they would be usefull to give her an answer tonite. many thanks

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

hi im new to this, thanks for all the info. i read last week the item lord of lords and found it intresting and shared it with my jw wife, but she came back with what seemed to be a good answer with psalm110 v1 and matt22 41-45 and it seemed to make sense, what are your thoughts, they would be usefull to give her an answer tonite. many thanks

Jonty,

1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2 The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

What answer? What was her explanation? How many Lords are there in this verse? If you answer One then you are correct. The word LORD is a corruption of the name of the true God but this was recovered and corrected in this English translation. Placing it in all capital letters draws attention to this fact. There are two persons in this verse and two separate Beings but only one Lord. What we really see is the Jew’s aversion to even write this name in their scrolls.

Now in Matthew:

41While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. 43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, 44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

By the time that Matthew was written this distinction was lost and we will see the word LORD rendered as Lord in most of them. The KJV still follows what is found in the Psalms and even capitalizes the word LORD as it did in the Psalms but the name of God that such capitals imply did not appear in the text. It simply follows the convention found in the Psalms that was recovered from some scrolls. So then what was your wife’s view of this term? And what does such evidence prove to her?

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit