My Job fired me on Saturday- Update as of 10/116/2007

by ronin1 5 Replies latest jw friends

• ronin1
    ronin1

To Sweetface2233 and everyone - thanks for the advices and encouragement.

This is a small company and to the best of my knowledge, there is no employee handbook. Or at least I never saw one.

However, I have taken the following steps: filed for unemployment benefits, contacted an attorney, and will be sending in documentation to the EEOC. The reason being: this employer has already told three (3) lies about my termination:

(1) Explained to me on Saturday that it was nothing that I did wrong, but they felt it just would not work out. (Never explained what would not work or why and did not want to wait until my review in December, 2007 to see if "things" would work out).

(2) Told the recruiting agency that got me the job that I oversold myself on interview and misrepresented my experience and qualifications. This was certainly not true. My resume' speaks for itself. I have 27 years experience in the Insurance Broker and Agency industry and did not lie on my resume or on interview. (The recruiter tried to visit this past Tuesday and introduce themself and meet me since this was an out-of-town recruiter and my boss would not even talk with her and brushed her off which was very strange. The recruiting agency realized looking back that this company probably was planning to fire me early in the week). Also, the recruiting agency is very suspicious about my firing because this company never advised the recruiting agency anything was wrong and told the recruiter approx 2 weeks ago I was doing great and everything was ok with my work.

(3) This company told the other employees that I voluntarily left and that it was a 'career move'. (If a company can boldly fire an employee they should have the guts to say they fired the employee and not lie).

After talking with a lot of friends, family, and the recruiting agency about this sudden employment termination, we are coming to the conclusion that there is a possibility that someone in a high position from my previous job knows the CFO of this company and spoke ill of me and got me fired. (My previous job was not happy that I left and went elsewhere. And they still have not found a replacement for my position). WE cannot at this time prove this but it is the most probable considering a lot of different factors involved that I have not mentioned.I will keep you posted if this turns out to be the case. Because if this is the case, both companies better have a good Directors & Officers insurance policy.

"If it smells like a fish, it usually is a fish".

P.S.- The recruiting agency has scheduled another job interview for me on Monday, October 22, 2007.I will keep you up-dated on my progress in job hunting and the EEOC claim.

Thanks again,

Ronin1

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

For a small company, they may not have realized how much it cost to use a recruiter. The fee can be equal to anywhere from 10-50% of your salary.

They may have been fine until they got the bill then realized how much it was costing them. If they let you go under the pretense of misrepresentation then likely that would take them off the hook from paying the recruiter.

As for mentioning to the company the "reason" of your departure, they shouldn't have done that. On the flip side, they can't announce that you were fired either. In order to avoid lawsuits the only thing they should say is that XXXX is not long working for the company.

While annoying, it may have been a blessing in disguise to have been terminated rather than find out what they are like 1-2 years down the road.

Good luck in your interview!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Your state is an at-will state, so they didn't do anything wrong by letting you go. The mistake was to give any reason at all, and then to give different reasons to different people. They should have just told you they were letting you go, not giving any reason, and then they should have told other people you no longer worked there, not giving any reason.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was fired once 8 years ago. They lied about the reasons for firing me too. They made up every sort of excuse rather than state the real reason - they shouldn't have hired me in the first place. This consulting company was changing its focus, and was phasing out the very service they hired me to perform. All they really wanted me for was to complete a project that was hanging when one of their other consultants quit. Once the project was finished I was fired. I was pissed, as that was the only job I was ever fired from in my life. I went to a lawyer too, with all kinds of documenation supporting my claim. Bottom line: my lawsuit went no where. It was a waste of time.

W

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    While annoying, it may have been a blessing in disguise to have been terminated rather than find out what they are like 1-2 years down the road.

Para sees the silver lining around the cloud.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

we are coming to the conclusion that there is a possibility that someone in a high position from my previous job knows the CFO of this company and spoke ill of me and got me fired. (My previous job was not happy that I left and went elsewhere. And they still have not found a replacement for my position). WE cannot at this time prove this

This is your biggest issue, and you can prove it. I used the company I linked below with great success. If you do not stop this problem now, it will follow you to every new position.

http://www.references-etc.com/employment_reference_checks.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit