If we really lived by the rules of the bible

by kwr 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kwr
    kwr

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/books/603143,jacobs101407.article

Within the first months of trying to live by the rules of the Bible, A.J. Jacobs started carrying around a portable seat so as not to sit after “unclean” women (Leviticus 15:20). He also grew a beard, which made him resemble Moses. “Or Abe Lincoln. Or Ted Kaczynski.” And dressed in white clothing (Ecclesiastes 9:8).

• Gopher
    Gopher

He also went to a Kingdom Hall. Here's the article last Sunday from the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-10-07-jacobs-living-biblically_N.htm?csp=34v

In part it said:

The Manhattan-based Jacobs also went on field trips. He visited with Jehovah's Witnesses, Hasidic Jews, the Amish, Samaritans and evangelical Christians. Of these experiences, he says: "I learned to be more tolerant. Handling snakes doesn't seem as crazy when you're seeing it firsthand."
  • megsmomma
    megsmomma

That is really neat. I wouldn't want to try it!

• jgnat
    jgnat

That guy had some great observations from his experience. Some of his literal attempts are hilarious. The wife wasn't too happy about the hut built in the middle of their livingroom, not to mention the "head of household" thing. The "head of household rule he was forced to drop.

My favorite story was the pebbles he kept in his pocket for adulterers. He finally found an old guy willing to admit he was an adulterer, and to be "stoned". After the author threw his pebbles, the guy picked them up and threw them right back!

• monophonic
    monophonic

that's the next book i'm reading and i'm still waiting for 'foreskin's lament' to come in the mail by auslander.

great concept, i've heard mixed reviews re: 'year of living bibically'...i have high hopes for 'foreskin's lament'.

• tmo1965
    tmo1965

It's a good thing that Jesus is the one time sacrafice to deliver us from that bondage.

• tula
    tula
    He invited a Jehovah’s Witness into his home and kept him for so long the Jehovah’s Witness started looking at his watch and making excuses to leave.

That is hilarious. Also very interesting. The JWs have been taking their favorite parts and using it just like that. They all quote the same old robotic scriptures whether it fits the question or not.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

tmo1965

It's a good thing that Jesus is the one time sacrafice to deliver us from that bondage.

Amen

• r.a.m.
    r.a.m.

This guy followed the Old Testament and completely ignored the New Testament. If he really wanted to follow every rule, then follow the part with Jesus.

How about not looking at a woman so as to lust for her?

How about don't even have contempt for your brother?

How about love your enemies?

How about seeking frist the kingdom?

How about loving God with his whole heart?

How about healing people and casting out demons?

How about not talking obscenely?

This guy spent a year following the old law. Jesus fulfilled that law. The new way is Jesus. Faith and love. Is that in the book?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit