Trying to help a would-be JW

by iamfreenow 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Trev received this email earlier from someone who is studying with the JWs, and he has allowed me to post it

Dear Trevor
    I have been studying with the JW's for some time now.
    However I have a legal background and am consequently
    cautious about matters of doctrine. Generally I feel
    that all religious organizations come to some
    debatable conclusions. So it seems inevitable that
    there will be difficult areas, whoever one becomes
    involved with.

Over the years I have become disillusioned with the
    mainstream churches for various reasons including the
    following :
    1. They offer repetitive ritual and little else.
    Certainly there is no Bible study for educated adults.

2. Certain teachings which are as clear as crystal in
    the New testament are often ignored, seemingly by
    popular demand. How one can do this and claim to be a
    Christian is literally beyond me.
    3. Most churches are very hierarchical, involved in
    politics, bless weaponry etc.
    4. Some preach ideas that conflict with or are simply
    not contained in The Bible.

I therefore came to the following conclusions:
    a). It seems likely that the most sincere way to
    attempt to embrace Christianity is to try to emulate
    first century Christians.
    b).The principle of elders taking to task members of
    the congregation who offend Christian values is, to
    me, no more than I would expect. And no more than was
    practiced in the first century. I see nothing
    draconian or sinister here in principle. Indeed
    without this how can a congregation maintain the
    highest standards?
    Hence my involvement with the Witnesses.

So Trevor, I do find one or two of the JW's very
    literal Bibical interpretations difficult and some
    conclusions a step farther than I would have thought
    necessary. But I have been unable to uncover anything
    more worrying than that. Furthermore where else could
    I find the level of commitment I seek? I get the
    distinct impression that in these times many critics
    simply resent the idea of being supervised by elders
    or are stung by the JW's rigorous approach to a life
    of faith, when compared with their own.
    The above is not intended to be confrontational.
    However I do not wish to make the considerable
    commitment of becoming a Witness and have my life
    ruined by disillusion. I would therefore greatly
    welcome any further information or comments you are
    able to provide me with in case I am uninformed or
    naive.

Sincerely

This gentleman has obviously been listening to the Watchtower's conclusions about those of us who have seen through their deceit and left. Of course, the organisation never acknowledge that anyone leaves because of finding out the the truth about their so-called truth, and have to invent lies to explain why they are losing so many members.

Trev was resting when the email came, but he has replied. I told him to leave it till later, but his reaction was that he had promised Linda he would continue to help anyone who asked him to, and such things can't wait, so he replied thus, in a very balanced way, in my opinion.

Hello xxxxx, As I am sure you are aware, I am a former jw. The reason I left was nothing to do with the fact that the congregation was run by the elders, or their use of their authority. During my time as a jw, the Watchtower made a major doctrinal change regarding their genration beliefs. I began an investigation of jw history, and found that this wasn't the first time that they had changed their beliefs, and on several occasions they had predicted the end of the world, and obviously the prophecy had failed. There is much information on this site http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/home.html which is entirely composed of older Watchtower publications which the organisation doesn't encourage its' members to read. The many, and there have been many, doctrinal flip flops are documented there, and I advise you to have a look. I would also advise you to read a book called Crisis of Conscience, by Raymond Franz, which can be obtained at a reasonable price from Amazon. Parts of it can be read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Franz I would advise you to thoroughly investigate the Watchtower Society before making any commitment. Many have found that things are not all they seem, or all the jws would have you believe, in the organisation. regards Trevor Spencer

We both hope that this gentleman does investigate the Watchtower before he considers making a commitment to the organisation. We don't want anyone else going through what many of us have endured. We both hope that he will read Crisis of Conscience, which should be more than enough to save him from the Watchtower.

Marion

• *summer*
    *summer*

This post is not helping only this someone who sent the email to Trevor. I bookmarked the 2 links.

Thank you...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Could this reply help?

Your observations from 1-4 are painted with too broad a brush. There are churches who conduct enthusiastic bible study and scrupulously follow God's word.

Having some legal background, you understand the danger of coming to conclusion too soon, especially if you have not checked out all the facts.

By the way, the Watchtower society, though it claims to most closely follow the first Century Christians, are markedly different. The early churches were loosely associated rather than centrally controlled. Women held a more prominent role in the early church than they do in the Watchtower Society. Works of charity are nearly absent from the Watchtower Society. Works of the spirit, prayer, and worship in the Society are a pale shadow from the early church.

Printed materials were virtually unkown in the early church. The gospel was spread by word of mouth shared in the town squares, synagogues, at the city gate, and in people's homes. Church discipline was public, never behind closed doors. If someone were expelled from the congregation, everyone in the local church had a say in the decision, and knew why the person was asked to leave.

Have you ever attended an Alpha program? www.alpha.org

I would also suggest checking out the house church movement. http://www.hccentral.com/ http://housechurch.org/

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

The gentleman replied to Trev immediately, it seems

Hello Trevor
    Thank you for your reply. I will investigate the
    points you have raised.

Brief but hopeful was Trev's comment. We are both pretty sure that if he reads much on Quotes, and especially if he reads Crisis of Conscience, he won't be joining the Watchtower Society. Trev hasn't lost his sense of humour - he commented that the organisation are probably interested in the man's legal background because they were looking to free legal aid in the future, once they have snared him. He didn't suggest that to the man, of course.

"summer"

This post is not helping only this someone who sent the email to Trevor. I bookmarked the 2 links.

Thank you

You are most welcome. Trev's bookmarks are rather like a JW information encyclopedia. He seems to know where to find the answers to most questions. He is very well organised in his opposition to the Watchtower.

Marion

• *summer*
    *summer*

Went to bed LATE last night as I became so engrossed in checking the Watchtower Quotes link. Wow!...what a gem of a link! I also ordered the book Crisis of Conscience last week. Goodness, can hardly wait to get my hands on it! Thank you! I am only grateful to be a 'would-be JW' For me, it will not be as difficult to walk away as it has been for so many on this board:-(

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    The principle of elders taking to task members of
    the congregation who offend Christian values
    is, to
    draconian or sinister here in principle

It is these very elders who make it quite difficult for a member to leave of his own free will. All family and social ties within the congregation must be cut. Despite the fact that God himself endowed mankind with free will, there's no easy way for a JW to leave even though no "Christian values" were offended. Jesus pontificated the importance of love in Christianity, going as far as to encourage love for one's enemies. However, one who leaves is treated as an outcast ... even worse than an enemy! How draconian is that?

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    The principle of elders taking to task members of
    the congregation who offend Christian values
    is, to
    draconian or sinister here in principle

It is these very elders who make it quite difficult for a member to leave of his own free will. All family and social ties within the congregation must be cut. Despite the fact that God himself endowed mankind with free will, there's no easy way for a JW to leave even though no "Christian values" were offended. Jesus pontificated the importance of love in Christianity, going as far as to encourage love for one's enemies. However, one who leaves is treated as an outcast ... even worse than an enemy! How draconian is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit