Across the Universe

by bikerchic 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

A must see! Awesome movie I loved it. I saw it with a 27 year old and a 35 year old and they were awestruck! There are a lot of subtleties in it. I wonder what ones you caught?

Discuss.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I really like movie musicals. This movie was a very satisfying period piece / fantasy.

It went by so fast, I'm planning to see it again with a high school buddy this weekend -- to try to catch more of those subtle details.

I liked the fact that three of the main characters were taken from Beatles songs: Jude, Lucy and JoJo.

The rooftop concert late in the movie was a lot like the Beatles' final live performance on a rooftop.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Gopher I actually can't wait to buy the DVD so I can catch more of the hidden nuances in the movie, it moves so fast and far.

Like I said I saw it with my kids (boys) they surprisingly liked the musical aspect of it and they both were surprised that it held their interest all the way through. All three of us kept wondering when they would finally play Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds! LOL We found we weren't the only ones because when it FINALLY played others in the audience said FINALLY!

Did you catch the Janis Joplin look alike? How about Jimi Hendrix look alike? And cameos of Joe Cocker, of course Bono, Eddie Izzard and I think I saw a rendition of Billy Preston? Gawd I want to see it again just to pick out some of these artist of my era! There was so much more it all escapes me now.

My boys related to the whole 70's Vietnam protesting stuff too that really blew me away. Anyway cool movie and I think it was even better for me being with my kids and seeing their reaction, we talked about for a long time afterward.

• Gopher
    Gopher

BC,

One sign of a well-crafted movie is that it has those nuances that make you want to see it again.

Yeah I saw how JoJo was like Jimi Hendrix, and Sadie in the band was like Janis. And it was funny when a scruffy guy on the street started singing -- just like Joe Cocker! He was in the movie 3 times.

If you go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Universe_%28film%29 you can see a list of all 33 songs in the order they were played in the movie, along with all the Beatles references.

Did you know that Evan Rachel Wood (Lucy) is Marilyn Manson's girlfriend in real life??? I thought she gave the knockout performance of the movie.

• RollerDaughter
    RollerDaughter

I havent actually seen this movie yet, but i hear from Gopher that it rocks!

i plan on checking it out some time ^_^

i <3 the beatles

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

Sounds great! My daughter and I adore the Beatles, although I don't usually go in for musicals. I will check it out! Thanks for bringing this up.

• Fleur
    Fleur

I haven't seen it, might have to wait for DVD but I am in love with the soundtrack.

Just tell me one thing (you can PM me if you want) is the ending sad?

My heart can't much take sad endings these days. Don't spoil it here but please let me know!!!

Na, na na na na na na. . ..*singing softly* I think this movie has my favorite version of Hey Jude of all time in it. . .

essie

• watson
    watson

I look forward to seeing this film. I liked what they did with Beatles music in "I Am Sam" too.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Just tell me one thing (you can PM me if you want) is the ending sad?

No it has a happy ending!

Thanks Gopher for the wiki link cool beans!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh this is cool to know we had almost all of them figured out but some we just couldn't remember, and I don't think it will spoil the movie at all in fact I think it will add to your enjoyment of it:

Character Names

The names of the principal characters - and several of the secondary roles - are derived from names in the titles or lyrics of Beatles compositions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit