The amazing, magical self-healing house of cards!

by Awakened07 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I remember when I still believed, that if I would come across a teaching or some piece of news that didn't gel with what I already believed, and the evidence or logical reasoning for it was so strong that I was "pushed into a corner", I would think (or even say) "Yeah, well - all the other things are still there, which I base my faith on. So while I concede this point, there's still enough there for me to continue believing."

Sounds reasonable enough at first.

This I find is true for many others as well. When pushed on a certain belief, they'll concede that "Yes, OK - you got me there, but there's still so many other things that make me believe, so it doesn't really matter."

Usually, when you remove a card from an actual house of cards, it collapses either partially or entirely. This figurative "house of cards" however, keeps being upright even after several supporting cards are taken away. How come?

Because the person who concedes on one point after the other, doesn't actually realize what's happening.

In conversation 1 (in January):"Well - OK, you got me there; the name Jehovah may have been added to the NT and not reinserted. But that doesn't budge my faith, because there's still the prophecies that have been fulfilled, among many other things."

In conversation 2 (in March):"Well - OK, you got me there; the flood of Noah's day probably wasn't global and didn't happen the way it's described. But that doesn't budge my faith, because there's still the scriptures that say the earth is a globe hanging in empty space, among many other things."

In conversation 3 (in July):"Well - OK, you got me there; the basis for one of the main prophecies is shaky (607BC), but that doesn't budge my faith, because there's still the fact that there was a world war in 1914 and all the other signs are there, among many other things."

In conversation 4 (in September): "Well - OK, you got me there; the scriptures showing that the earth is a globe really only describes a circle, most likely flat, but that doesn't budge my faith, because there's still the prophecies that have been fulfilled, among many other things."

In conversation 5 (in November): "Well - OK, you got me there; Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs were totally different from today back in 1919 when they were chosen by Christ, and they still celebrated Christmas etc., but that doesn't budge my faith, because there's still the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only organization that preaches that name world wide, among many other things."

And so on and so forth: Basically, in each conversation, a point may be conceded, but "there are all those other reasons that I believe, so it doesn't really matter. I see the big picture."

What really is happening though, is that in each conversation one "card" is removed from the "house of cards", but in the next conversation, that same card has 'magically' reappeared, keeping the figurative house of cards up. In reality, the house has fallen apart long ago, but since "there are all those other "cards" there for my house to stay up", it magically stays up in the mind of the JW.

And for some reason, I didn't see this back then, and many don't see it today when they are 'pushed'.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Takes time....those little seeds of doubt are there...just keep reminding them.

it took 3 years for my house of cards to fall.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Awakened,

It's the KINGDOM !! No matter what, they feel their core belief is the Kingdom. To them, everything else is just minor details.

(Really their core belief is loyalty to the FDS. That's a hard nut to crack.)

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Yes, but how much can one remove and still believe? If you agreed to remove all those points (not the ones mentioned in my post specifically, but whatever points it may be in a particular situation), in the end there would be nothing left 'proving' that the organization is anything special at all. A personal relationship with Jehovah, then? Well - that may be left, but who was it that taught you about Jehovah in the first place?

(I'm not asking you guys of course, just a way of building a sentence)

• journey-on
    journey-on

I've found that each individual witness has their own pet reason for keeping the house of cards together.

One of the biggest ones is, "We are the only organization that uses God's name, Jehovah, and the Bible

says that in the last days he would make a people for His name."

So, in their mind, that's proof enough. Nothing else really matters.

• poppers
    poppers

I like how you put that, Awakened07. It's almost like juggling; you let go of one ball so you can grab another coming down and then keep repeating the procedure. At some point it gets pretty hard to keep it all going. With the mind, however, it's not so obvious what's happening.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The house a construct very similar to the ego construct. Dismantling it is like dying. How many people are ready to lay down and die? For a person to let it fall, they need to be ready to accept truth, no matter what the cost.

S

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Spot on Awakened 07...

I always knew that the writings of the Revelation Book had no foundation - but I believed because the rest of the doctrines were convincing.

I often wondered how every non believer could be killed by a loving God - but I believed because the rest of the doctrines were convincing

I wondered why "the end " never seemed to come - but I beleived because the rest of the doctrines were convincing

I wondered why none of the congregations that I had been in showed the love that was meant to be found - but I beleved because......

I wondered why my life was difficult despite doing all the things that will "Make your Family Life Happy" - but I believed because...

And then day something happened that made me really sit up and THINK...and the house of cards fell down..

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I think perhaps one very key thing for many, is the feeling that (and harping on and on of) the end being so close. Every little earthquake, every little "rumor of war", every little bird flu 'attack'... Makes them 'rejoice', and not only that, but I remember saying "How can he/she be so stupid as to disassociate him/herself now, so close to Armageddon!?"

I think many Witnesses are tired now - I know I was, even though I wasn't elderly. And - if and when all else fails - they can sit in front of their TVs watching CNN and 'rejoice' that at the very least the world is showing all the signs that Armageddon is really close now. Of course, judging by such things, Armageddon has been much closer before, but...

They are 'waiting on Jehovah' to sort it all out, not realizing that there are so many things to 'sort out' that Jehovah kinda vanishes in a poof of logic, to borrow a little from Douglas Adams.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    REG:
    They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, and not just from us, from our fathers, and from our fathers' fathers.
    LORETTA:
    And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
    REG:
    Yeah.
    LORETTA:
    And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
    REG:
    Yeah. All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?!
    XERXES:
    The aqueduct?
    REG:
    What?
    XERXES:
    The aqueduct.
    REG:
    Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.
    COMMANDO #3:
    And the sanitation.
    LORETTA:
    Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like?
    REG:
    Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done.
    MATTHIAS:
    And the roads.
    REG:
    Well, yeah. Obviously the roads. I mean, the roads go without saying, don't they? But apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads--
    COMMANDO:
    Irrigation.
    XERXES:
    Medicine.
    COMMANDOS:
    Huh? Heh? Huh...
    COMMANDO #2:
    Education.
    COMMANDOS:
    Ohh...
    REG:
    Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough.
    COMMANDO #1:
    And the wine.
    COMMANDOS:
    Oh, yes. Yeah...
    FRANCIS:
    Yeah. Yeah, that's something we'd really miss, Reg, if the Romans left. Huh.
    COMMANDO:
    Public baths.
    LORETTA:
    And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.
    FRANCIS:
    Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this.
    COMMANDOS:
    Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.
    REG:
    All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    XERXES:
    Brought peace.
    REG:
    Oh. Peace? Shut up!

In many an argument no particular point is decisive, but the cumulative effect of many is. However this cumulative effect is one of the easiest to avoid if you do not want to reach the conclusion it would lead you to. Switch off the counter, as it were.

So, for instance, Bible apologists always come up with some more or less farfetched trick to explain away inconsistencies and discrepancies. In every particular case their explanation may sound somewhat plausible, but the probability that all such explanations are correct is next to 0. No single detail seems to be serious enough to question the dogma: just never let the details add up.

Iow, only irrational motives ultimately decide whether we let "logic" work or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit