Teachers Chastised by Pupils for Teaching Evolution.

by Clam 9 Replies latest social current

• Clam
    Clam

The other day my 14 year old niece came round to say hi and tell me about her day.

She was telling me about an incident in her Biology class that day where a Christian clique (they're known at the school as The God Squad), had remonstrated with the teacher over whether he should be teaching "Darwinist rubbish" as fact.

The children in question have also apparently refused to do their homework which is specifically covering the subject of evolution..

My niece was horrified at the sudden breakdown of discipline, while stunned that she had fellow pupils who believed in the Adam and Eve story as a factual historical event.

I chatted to her about it, but it did leave me wondering how this was becoming more of an issue, especially considering a growth in Christian Fundie-ism and the sheer number of Moslems now living here.

Then this popped up in the UK news today . . .

Teachers 'fear evolution lessons'

The teaching of evolution is becoming increasingly difficult in UK schools because of the rise of creationism, a leading scientist is warning. Full article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7028639.stm

• Clam
    Clam

Bumping with a possibly more eye catching header.

• exjdub
    exjdub

Clam,

I have thought over and over how to respond...I guess my overriding feeling is I am stunned, but then I guess we did the same thing as Jdubs whenever a teacher was teaching "spritism" or other subjects we disagreed with. I could be out of touch lateley, but here in the U.S. it seems like the fundie thing is slowing down, or at least not being tolerated as well. I can't wait 'til the fundie thing subsides completely. It is quite annoying at the moment.

exjdub

• John Doe
    John Doe

Clam, you sure you're not from Kansas? ;-)

• Clam
    Clam

Hell no, Mr. Doe. Why d'you ask?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Just joking. Kansas had a big debate a few years ago where they decided that creationism must be taught in public school along with evolution.

• Clam
    Clam

Aha. Thanks for explaining. Didn't know that.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

If the teacher was in any way intimidated by the kids, he/she must not be very solid in his/her own beliefs. There isn't a creationist out there that has ever even come close to successfully debating God. Atheists and evolutionists almost always win the argument. The reason is the ack of empirical evidence for God. It's really a matter of the burden of proof being on the God squad, not on the evolution side.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey Clam,

INHERIT THE WIND: Based on the stage play of the
    Scopes monkey trial, this film depicts a biology teacher
    put on trial for teaching the theory of evolution. The power-
    ful acting of Spencer Tracy and Fredric March portrays
    the actual courtroom drama that occurred between
    Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan.

--- paraphrase from VIDEO MOVIE GUIDE 2000,
    Mick Martin and Marsha Porter

Still trying to figure it all out for myself ... thank you for putting this up.

CoCo

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

This is what happens when you poison the minds of children and then let them into the real world. If the kids actually looked at the evidence, they'd see they had been lied to their whole lives. Instead, they'll probably lie to their own kids too and the cycle will continue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit