new radiohead album. u decide what to pay

by tijkmo 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

novel approach to a new release.

not using a record company will mean more of the proceeds will go straight to the band and even if everyone only pays a fraction of the retail price they will still probably be quids in.

plus recording an album is not the huge expense - advertising it is...and everyone is doing that for radiohead for free.

plus they got millions anyway .

should be great as usual.

Radiohead sell new album online
    4 Oct 2007, 0000 hrs IST,AGENCIES
    Print Save EMail Write to Editor
    /photo.cms?msid=2425776
    Radiohead (TOI Photo)
    And that too on a customer-determined price. English rock band Radiohead are offering their fans to download their latest album In Rainbow via Internet for the price they would want to pay for the group's music.

The digital version of the album will be made available for downloads on the band's website inrainbows.com on 10 October. It can be purchased for as little as one-dollar .

The band has said that the payment for downloads will be accepted only through credit cards. A specialedition box set called Discbox, including double vinyle and CD versions of the 10-song album, will also be shipped on 3 December. The traditional CD version of 'In Rainbows' will be released early next year, reports Variety magazine. So far, EMI's Capitol Records has released the band's seven previous albums, of which the past three have charted in the top three in the US. However, 'Radiohead' are not relying upon any label, wholesaler and retail operations this time. The magazine report suggests that the decision of not associating with any label exposes the band to the risk of their music being downloaded by the fans for far less than the reasonable rate. The group also faces the threat of piracy, adds the report. No advance copies of In Rainbow are being made available to the media or radio stations. The band has neither chosen a distributor for the physical copy of their album, not have they concluded any deal with any digital service. In Rainbow has been produced by Nigel Godrich, who has worked with 'Radiohead' for more than a decade.
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I can't wait!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

nvr....how much do you think you will pay

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'll pay the standard rate( 11-15$ US)

becuase they treat the fans with dignity and their music has been there for me for years

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I am so stoked for this. Not really surprised that Radiohead is the first to be pushing such a cool way of getting their album out there. I'll throw down ten bucks.

GBL

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    becuase they treat the fans with dignity and their music has been there for me for years

yeah we were discussing this last night and we concluded that genuine fans would consider it an affront to rip the band off.

i would pay a little less for a download because there is no artwork etc... which i like with a cd

• ninja
    ninja

10 pence.....I am a fan of the band....but then again I am scottish....what to do ...what to do

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

tijkmo,

Yes, this sounds like a clever coup-de-marketing, though I am not sure what to make of this sort of idea. Every time I write a post and go to hit 'enter', the industry changes and leaves me .

I forgot the name of the Band who gave away their CD's free with their teashirts, probably the Glen Miller Orchestra. The profit on the teashirts amply covered production of the CD's and left them with huge profits.

Whodathunkit?

HS

• karvel
    karvel

finally!! it's been like 4 years and 'the eraser' was kinda underwhelming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit