Questions

by parlay 8 Replies latest jw friends

• parlay
    parlay

I have found certain questions very effective in helping open my moms eyes.

She saw me go from infancy to elder over a period of 40 years.

When I stopped attending meetings, she couldn't understand it.

I now understanding how being a JW causes REAL thinking ability to malfunction or

cease operating all together. The effort to revive her thinking ability has worked to a degree.

She now acknowledges that all is not right in the org and admits that I make good points

and ask good questions.

I asked her to read Genesis 18:22 - 33. I asked

if Jehovah didn't condemn Abraham for questioning whether He was going

to do what was right (pointing out the exclaimation point in verse 25),

why is questioning imperfect men at the head of the JW organization not tolerated?

Whereas Abraham suffered no retribution from God for his questions, why are many JW's

disfellowshipped for doing the exact same thing?

I asked her to read to Acts 17:10,11. I asked, if the Boreans were

considered noble-minded for checking to make sure the things they were

being taught were really so, why are JW's discouraged from following the same course

when it comes to what the organization teaches (Sept. KM)?

I asked her to read 1 Thessalonians 5:21 and 1 John 4:1. How can this admonition be followed

you are not allowed to ask indepth questions? Why is a JW discouraged from putting what the org says to the test?

Tactics that have been helpful are, sticking to one subject per sitting, letting her read the particular quote

from the WT publication or bible and then posing the question and moving on to the next point without pressuring

her to provide an answer.

What has helped me is keeping in mind the goal, not to prove her wrong or me right, but

to revive her true thinking ability, so that she will see things for what they really are.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Quote:

"...if Jehovah didn't condemn Abraham for questioning whether He was going
    to do what was right (pointing out the exclaimation point in verse 25),
    why is questioning imperfect men at the head of the JW organization not tolerated?
    Whereas Abraham suffered no retribution from God for his questions, why are many JW's
    disfellowshipped for doing the exact same thing?"

Nice! I like that very much... but much more importantly, I'm so glad your Mom is listening!!!

Cheers!
    Baba.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Nice work, bud.

I've tried the same, to no avail.

Deep brainwashing is hard to turnaround, methinks.

Good Luck, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

BA

• oompa
    oompa

Great point! And Thomas was not zapped or DF's by Jesus for doubting about the son of God himself? And Peter started to doubt Jesus ability to keep him walking on water? then denied him three times? no zap and no DF type penalty.

New thought today in line with this subject. How bad is it to seriously question (and even leave) any of Gods Biblical arrangements for instruction, such as our never wrong Faithful Slave? Well the first arrangement was Adam and Eve and they screwed up but were still the arrangement (adam was the first prophet) and they were not zapped or shunned by family.

Jewish Priestly arrangment. You want to tell me it was wrong to start disagreeing or questioning this corrupt bunch? Yet that was who the bible says was being used direcly by God to teach, and yep the Pharasies came from them. Oh how bad to question these "whitewashed graves".

Next is Christian Congregaton. What happened to it? As apostacy crept in, nobody had a right to question the bad now whacked out teachings? come on.

Why cant we without penalty?.....oompa

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Parlay, very good questions. May I suggest two very important questions you might ask next? # 1 ) What is the most important Scripture in Watchtower Theology? # 2 ) What is the most important event in Watchtower history? Do you know?

Blueblades

• parlay
    parlay

Please enlighten me. Thanks

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Besides the scriptural examples above, there is one practical benefit of questioning the organization. If they start out correct, and then gradually error creeps in, questioning members would act as checks and balances to keep those errors small. If they stubbornly hold onto the errors, then they are going to get a flood of questions about it and ultimately be forced to examine it, lest the flock independently research the matter and eliminate the now-corrupt leaders. A splinter group results, that is more likely to be in the right than the original group.

Without questioning, small errors accumulate. Eventually, they become significant, hindering the operation of the congregations. And major problems set in. With no checks and balances, and the heavy use of threats (including death threats), these problems are not going to be corrected. And the small (and not so small) errors continue to accumulate. Before long, they find themselves having to introduce other errors, this time deliberate, to protect themselves from the original problems. The end result is a group that is totally fxxxed up.

This is comparable to a computer program like an Internet browser. I would rather have one that reports, and then fixes, every small error as soon as it's encountered than one that automatically refused to accept and correct error reports. While the error messages and corrections would come up frequently at first, as the errors got exposed, there would be fewer of them and eventually you would have a perfect browser. If you have no reporting system, the errors would come up all the time and the program would be unusable. The Watchtower Society is no different from this no-report browser: errors and willful faults are a dime a dozen, and the whole system is unusable.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

your comments made me think of one scripture in particular, "Make sure of ALL things. Hold fast to what is fine" Yeah and when we do this, we are condemned?

My favorite topic to prove their false teachings:

1.) If Jesus hung on a stake, then the scriptures mentioning a sign being hung above his head is wrong. Therefore, he did hang on a cross.

2.) Nails were referred to in the scriptures, in a plural sense. Had Jesus hung on a stake, only one nail would have been needed.

LINDA

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Parlay, you have a PM.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit