Elder's Boy: Now a Dr, instead of a piano tuner!

by WingCommander 6 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Thought I'd share this snipit I learned about 2 years ago. Back when I still attended as a teenager, there was this dorky, kinda fat, shy Elder's Son who never fit in at school. He was a totally sheltered weenie, and of course his Elder father had HIGH expectations for his boy!! What was jr. going to do with his life? Why, he was going to tune piano's for a meager living while pioneering full-time and waiting to get in Bethel! This was the model held up by the other Elder's as the one for us other teenagers to follow. Pffffffhhhhtt! What a loser.

Fast forward 10 years. Elder's boy is working part time at a local hospital, apparently to pay his way through college, and then medical school in Pittsburgh. Fast forward to about 2 years ago. I'm reading the Sunday paper, when what do I see? A wedding announcement for Elder's Boy! He's now all grown, and has gotten married! No longer fat or dorky looking, he went to medical school, became a doctor, and married some hot chick, more than likely NOT a JW! I nearly spit my coffee out.

A slew of emotions fell upon me, and I have to admit I'm not proud of them. One was jealousy/ envy for him bucking his overbearing parents and going to medical school against everyone's wishes. Another was an almost absolute rage at the JW's for putting him up as an example, and then while the rest of us didn't go to college, he did and is making a ton of money.

I am waiting on the day I run into his former Elder father, so I can ask him how his son's piano tuning business is coming along. When he quips back (probably proudly) about his son being a doctor, I'll respond with how sad it is to see that his son "went against the spiritual counsel of the FDS about not attending college." That should warrant a priceless look from the douchebag. I wonder if he thought his son would be tuning Harps of God after the Big A? Makes you wonder where their brain is.

In another sense, I wonder if Elder's Boy is baptized, or if he "left the fold." If so, there is another victory for education and critical thinking, and a blow to the WTBS.

Just my vent for the day.

Regards,

- Wing Commander

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

He'll end up having an affair with a nurse, get divorced, the ex get it all, and then go crawling back to the Borg...proving to his father the evil of materialism.

Else, he' a member of JWD?

Skeeter

• franzy
    franzy

"the douchebag"

wow, you're very tolerant and understanding of other's choices.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't understand what is up with the WTS it appears that they don't want their members to become successful in society and they are doing all they can to persuade them not to do so and stay down on the social ladder. Low income and low social respectability.

Why would they want that? Is it because they can better control those lower down in society?

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

I think piano tuning would be a great business. That is not a skill easily mastered. Even when you can count five or more beats in a second precisely when listening to the constructive interference between isolated strings you have to progressively sharp some intervals and flat others all the time stretching or knocking the string into a position it will stay in using the tuning pin. Moving one string affects the adjacent strings and the whole harp tension. Just because someone is a Dr. doesn't mean all other skills are beneath them.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    I think piano tuning would be a great business. That is not a skill easily mastered

Maybe he realized what a lousy piano tuner he was, and decided to do something he was good at!

• 4mylove
    4mylove

I know how you feel. I think it is one of the major reasons my hubby never went ahead in his field to say bachelors or masters. It would have taken too much time. I'm slowly letting him know that he deserves either one and should go for it. Hopefully there is nothing to hold him back now other than his family keeping hope alive with all the nagging of going back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit