Starting a New Thread - Movie Ratings

by joannadandy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

First my appologies - I was trying to make a reply in a thread and suddenly there was an error and it was gone. So I shall have to start a new one. Coolhandluke said:

i have this thing with nudity. why is it that the female body garners an R rating on a film but violence, torture and the like can get a PG rating. its as if we are being subconsciously told that the female body is disgusting. that it has to be covered. what kinda puritanical, backwater, 18th century kinda thinking is that? i personally like the female body. i like it a lot.

If any of you kids out there have Netflix, I highly recommend: This Film is Not Yet Rated. Brilliant stuff looking at the mystery of how films are rated. Hillariously done and alarming at the same time. The amount of mystery behind the MPAA rating board is just retarded. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it....but has anyone else gotten a chance to look at it? Basically it's a fancy way for shutting down discussions about important movies/issues. Modifying a directors vision - all under the guise of protecting the innocent, but really just pandering to the big studios. It's censorship - without the overt censoring. Just good old fashioned strong-arm tactics. It's one to make you get all riled up for sure at the huge discrepencies between ratings of movies. Basically it's some small little mystery group thinks of as "offensive" which usually ends up being anything homosexual in nature, anything featuring women's sexuality in a positive way for women -- but Violence seems to be just fine. I guess we live in a society where healthy expressions of love are far more dangerous than acts of extreme aggression?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I didn't see the movie, but agree that the MPAA imposes censorship with no transparency or accountability.

If America had some kind of government censorship board, similar to the kind that exists in parts of Canada or the U.K., at least the people doing the rating would be identified and there would have to be some accountability.

The MPAA's conservative stance on sex and liberal stance on violence has definitely sent the wrong message to the youth of America.

For non-Americans, here are the American movie ratings and their meaning (taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_ratings

• heathen
    heathen

I'm not getting where the problem is . Most movies with excesive violence do get an R rating . Naked women should be for adults not kids .

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

hmmm. i posted something in response to you jo. i have no idea where it went

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

CHL, I have my theories about that. But after my "library party" and being informed that you are not "approved association", I shall have to keep it to myself

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

mmm...spoiled useful habits...

• heathen
    heathen

well , happy birthday to joan.....

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    mmm...spoiled useful habits...

Taste of chicken?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy