Mmmm.......dung that cometh out of man (Ezekiel 4:12)

by sixsixsixtynine 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Just when I thought I'd seen every ridiculous Bible passage there is, I came across this gem:

"And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight."

http://nobeliefs.com/washingtonnews/EzekielBread.htm

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sorry, but the reference is certainly to the use of dung as a fuel. Some studies of the ancient use of dried dung as a fuel:

Anderson, Seona and Füsun Ertug-Yaras. 1998. Fuel Fodder and Faeces: An Ethnographic and Botanical Study of Dung Fuel Use in Central Anatolia. Environmental Archaeology 1: 99-109.

Miller, Naomi F. 1984. The Use of Dung as Fuel: An Ethnographic Example and an Archaeological Application. Paléorient 10(2): 71-79.

Miller, Naomi F. 1984. The Interpretation of Some Carbonized Cereal Remains as Remnants of Dung Cake Fuel. Bulletin on Sumerian Agriculture 1: 45-47

Miller, Naomi F. and Tristine Lee Smart. 1984. Intentional Burning of Dung as Fuel: A Mechanism for the Incorporation of Charred Seeds into the Archeological Record. Journal of Ethnobiology 4: 15-28.

Reddy, Seetha N. 1998. Fueling the Hearths in India: The Role of Dung in Paleoethnobotanical Interpretation. Paléorient 24 (2): 61-70.

Sareiya, K.P. and P. Venkataramany. 1962. Use of Cattle-Dung as Manure and Domestic Fuel. Indian Forester 88: 718-724.

Sillar, B. 2000. Dung by Preference: The choice of fuel as an example of how Andean pottery production is embedded within wider technical,social and economic practices. Archaeometry 42(1): 43-60.

Winterhalder, B., R. Larsen, and R. B. Thomas. 1974. Dung as an Essential Resource in a Highland Peruvian Community. Human Ecology 2: 89-104.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

... And it actually ended up being 'Ezekiel 4:15 bread' anyways, if the author could have bothered to read a bit further...

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Sorry, but the reference is certainly to the use of dung as a fuel

Ah, so it was to be cooked with dung, rather than made with dung? I guess that's slightly less disgusting.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    And it actually ended up being 'Ezekiel 4:15 bread' anyways

You're right. Three verses later he gives them cows dung to replace mans'. This stuff is sounding better all the time!

I still prefer the original intrepretation, though:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit