A watchtower charity, and possible current UN connection

by candidlynuts 9 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/14683/1.ashx

the thread above is from 2001

quoted from blondies post in the link above.

Aidafrique association

Aidafrique is a caritative association used by the Witnesses of Jéhovah. It is a response at the request of populations in distress. Born from private relations, it was structured and grown for better achieving its mission of assistance. With the support of other religious associations and humane, Aidafrique could help thousands of people afflicted by the génocide with 1994 in Rwanda and the dramatic events with 1997 in Zaire-Congo. The caritative organization continues to develop its action and to improve the training of its members for better ensuring its missions.

Assistance brought by Aidafrique to the populations moved to summer appreciated as well by the refugees as by the authorities and the press of country like Zambia and Tanzania, where camps accomodating of the citizens of Congo are located. Witnesses various documents published here.

Copyright © 1999 Religious organization Witnesses of Jéhovah de France. All rights reserved.

quote from above link from Kent:

It seems they work other places than Africa:

Posted by Steve on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 20:43:13 :
    I'm in the process of researching the activities and background of a French NGO called AIDAFRIQUE. This NGO has provided humanitarian assistance in various African countries and Vietnam through a subsidiary NGO called AIDAFRIQUE AU VIET NAM. AIDAFRIQUE has previously assisted and been assisted by UNHCR, but is not a UNHCR Partner.
    I would appreciate it if anyone with "any knowledge" of this NGO would provide such to me. I am particularly interested in knowing whether it is an approved NGO Partner of any UN department.
    Thanks.

http://www.unol.org//messages/23689.shtml

if it is still a current charity, and OMG offers something other than tracts to the hungry, i'd like to know more about it.

if it is still a current charity and is a current NGO then the watchtower still has current ties with the United nations. I'd like to know more about it.

i tried bumping up the old thread but got no interest. i'm hoping this thread gets some. and hopefully someone has some more up to date info on this charity.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

whats a girl gotta do to get a response? post booby pics?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Definitely.

Meanwhile, you might pm chasson, he's usually very up to date on this kind of stuff (the French JW connection, I mean). Unfortunately I'm not, this didn't exist when I left.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Sounds intriguing.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://temoinsdejehovahcom.ifrance.com/aides_caritatives/aidafrique/actions/unhcr/dailymail.htm

Zambia Daily Mail Thursday, June 17, 1999-07-08

French NGO officials jet in
    to help Congo DR refugees
    By FRANK BWALYA

TWO officials from the Aid Afrique are expected in the country today to provide additional humanitarian support to thousands refugees who have fled trouble-torn Congo DR.

Aid Afrique chairman Mr Claude Hamel and Mr Louis De Wit from France and Belgium respectively are expected to hold talks with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Ministry of Health and other humanitarian organisations to see what assistance could be given to refugees.

A statement to the Mail yesterday said the two officials would be in the country for a week-long visit during which they would be assisted by two Aid Afrique local representatives, Mr Edward Finch and Mr Estime Mbayo.

"Over US$30,000 is expected to be spent in providing blankets, clothes, food, household utensils, farming tools and implements as well as medicines to the refugees from Congo," read the statement.

The relief supplies are being provided by congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses in Belgium, France and Switzerland. Aid Afrique is a European-based international humanitarian organisation founded in France in 1990 with the objective of bringing relief to critical areas of Africa.

Through the UNHCR efforts in Tanzania, the organisation last year distributed over 20 tonnes of food and medicine to refugees in the Kigoma region.

In 1997, Aid Afrique spent US$820,000 in humanitarian aid to the former Zaire.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Awake 22 July 2001 page 8

Relief

AidThatIs"PracticalRatherThanFormal"

Relief work is another form of voluntary service performed by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Not long ago a warehouse near Paris, France, was a beehive of activity. Some 400 volunteers spent their weekend filling cartons with food, clothing, and medicine. By the end of the weekend, nine large containers full of relief supplies worth nearly $1 million (U.S.) were ready to be shipped. Soon thereafter, the shipment arrived in war-torn Central Africa, where local Witness volunteers swiftly distributed the supplies. Most of the supplies were donated by Witnesses as well.

One newspaper in Congo (Kinshasa) praised the humanitarian work of Jehovah’s Witnesses as "practical rather than formal." Officials of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have likewise expressed their support. One UNHCR official in the Democratic Republic of Congo was so pleased with the orderliness of the relief efforts carried out by the Witnesses that she put her vehicle at the disposal of the volunteers. Local people are also impressed. When onlookers noticed how swiftly relief supplies reached all in need, some asked in wonderment: "How are you organized to be able to reach everyone?"

The relief efforts by Jehovah’s Witnesses and their literacy programs are just two examples of the services that Witnesses have been performing around the world for decades. However, the Witnesses are also involved in another form of volunteer work—a service that makes a truly long-lasting difference. The next article will consider this.

I have not found anything that would confirm that the Society itself is behind Aidafrique.

Cheers

Chris

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    whats a girl gotta do to get a response? post booby pics?

If I am not mistake, the "terms of use." require regularily posting booby pictures. Are you in compliance? There may be legitimate reasons for using an outside agency to distribute supplies. Let's get more details.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

this is a very IMPORTANT TOPIC. and yes the wt is still in the UNITED NATIONS. JUST UNDER A DIFFERENT NAMES. like africacare, european union of jw's etc. if memory serves me right. the wt pulled this stunt while the french gov't was trying to tax jw's in france. the wt BRANCH IN PORTUCAL(SP) is a part of the U.N. ngo.. they were just at the U.N. NGO CONFRENCE about a year ago. don't let anyone tell you the wts in not still in the U.N. all the info is right here on jwd. happy hunting on this very important topic.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ha i got responses!

i've been looking online for info.. not much current information.

this from 1999

http://patricelion.free.fr/L26091999.htm

ASSOCIATION AIDAFRIQUE Solidarity with the Witnesses of Jéhovah most stripped in Africa. Medical and material food aid with the populations of Africa within the framework of an emergency but biblical work of teaching permanently The gifts can be collected as follows: each member of the congregation will be able regularly to thus make an offering with this association an envelope could be slipped into a special envelope bearing the name Aidafrique. it will be also possible to directly send this envelope to Aidafrique association after having freed it. Only the cheques could be sent thus by the post office. Aidafrique also has an account CPC: each one can thus freely proceed to a transfer or carry out a deposit at the post office according to methods' of her choice. Letter of September 26, 1999

this active link..undated

http://temoinsdejehovahcom.ifrance.com/aides_caritatives/aidafrique/presentation/presentation.htm

Caritative Assistances/Aidafrique Aidafrique association Aidafrique is a caritative association used by the Witnesses of Jéhovah. It is a response at the request of populations in distress. Born from private relations, it was structured and grown for better achieving its mission of assistance. With the support of other religious associations and humane, Aidafrique could help thousands of people afflicted by the genocide with 1994 in Rwanda and the dramatic events with 1997 in Zaire-Congo. The caritative organization continues to develop its action and to improve the training of its members for better ensuring its missions. Assistance brought by Aidafrique to the populations moved to summer appreciated as well by the refugees as by the authorities and the press of country like Zambia and Tanzania, where camps accomodating of the citizens of Congo are located. Witnesses various documents published here. Copyright © 1999 Pertaining to worship Association Witnesses of Jéhovah de France. Reserved straight [ Return to the Plane reception | of the site

this on french wikipedia , translated with babelfish

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_l%C3%A9gale_des_T%C3%A9moins_de_J%C3%A9hovah

• Aidafrique Association.
    • Declared on November 6,1990 under the name of Association of medical aid and food forthe East Africa (Official Journal, November 21,1990).
    • Association with nonlucrative goal (law of the 1 er July1901).
    • Article 2 of the statutes of humane association (March 1999): "association has the aim of expressing the solidarity of the Christian confession of the Witnesses of Jéhovah d'Europe with the Witnesses of Jéhovah of the countries ofAfrica most stripped in their bringing a material aid and moral, as well in the emergencies as at the time of moments more favourable with their development. This help can be extended to those not sharing this faith. Association thus has an exclusive goal of assistance and humanitarian aid ".
    • Only humane association formed by the Witnesses of Jéhovah in the world. Founded on the initiative individual of a Witness of Jéhovah (always in the place of president) under Aidafric name, association did not specify in its being object turned towards the Witnesses of Jéhovah. It entered in scene the assistance to the Witnesses of Jéhovah at the time of the conflict of Rwanda in 1994, then following the dramatic events concerning the ex-Zaire (today the democratic Republic of Congo) in 1997 [ 7 ] . Finally, it was fully integrated into the legal structure of the Witnesses of Jéhovah in March 1999, by the renewal of the members of the Board of directors (except his president) and with a revision of the Staff Regulations.

i'm trying to find an international charity watch to see if it's currently listed but having a rough time because i have to translate everything using babelfish.

• oompa
    oompa

What is this Bart Simpson? "Is Aid A Freak here? Hello, will Aid A Freak please come to the phone?"

geeze could it be?....oompa

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit