Regarding Journeyon's post re: songbook

by ShirleyW 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Any old timers that remember the green book remembe Song #1? I think the title was "Hail Him" or something similar. That song was good old Southern church Rock and Roller!!'

Matter of fact I remember my mother saying, and this was in the sixties, that they reallly didn't play it that much because it sounded to much like gospel music! So how the heck did it get in the book in the first place?? Oh well, that was "semi-nice trip" down memory lane (considering the circumstances) remembering those old tunes

Any one remember "Take Sides with Jehovah"? I think that one was a golden oldie for the old timers, that used to be "their favorite jam", wonder if that song is in the songbook they use now.

How about that other golden oldie "Rejoice, Rejoice", (from the green book) and who can forget that ol' Haiwiann ditty, I think it was song #19, that some brother from Waikiki or something wrote for the Society?

Would you believe back in the 70's my old cong, used to gather on Saturday nights, to practice the songs, and we used to have a guitar and two violin players in addtion to the piano ! !

• journey-on
    journey-on

ShirleyW

A lot of those songs in the green book were gospel-like. They used the word Zion a lot. "Hail the Signal!" was Song #1. I'm looking at the words now and the first sentence says: "All hail the glorious Signal raised! See Christ on Zion's hill!"

#57 - "Take Sides with Jehovah!".....Once with confusion my sad heart was filled, Drinking the cup that tradition distilled; Oh with what gladness and joy it was thrilled. When your sweet message I heard (when I heard)!....Chorus: Take sides with Jehovah; Make him your delight; He'll never forsake you; Walk e'er in his light. Tell, tell the glad tidings Of freedom and peace, His rule by Christ Jesus Will ever increase.

Seems like I remember the congregation got to choose what songs they wanted to sing. Now they're assigned by Mother Borg, but back then the conductor had his favorites and it seemed like we sang the same songs a lot.

#61 - "Rejoice! the Kingdom Has Begun!" ....This triggered a memory for me when I was a little girl. That song starts off: "Rejoice! Rejoice! For God and Christ are reigning. Rejoice! Rejoice!.......Being five or six years old, I remember thinking it was a song about Joyce, one of the sisters in our congregation. Funny how I remember that little tidbit of childhood JW nostalgia.

I might scan some of these old songs if anybody is interested.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I remember it well. We only had one piano player and she couldn't have gotten disfellowshipped for anything. We had smoke breaks Sunday and Thursday nights, a couple congregation picnics a year, and there were full blown orchestras at assemblies. Some of them were good!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

AAHHHH!!!! Those damn songs will be in my head all night!!!

Thanks a million

nj

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I remember the orchestras at the conventions - and the green song book - and the deaf JWs signing the song with the sign language interpreter. I liked to sit where I could watch the sign language interpreters, it was more interesting that way. Otherwise, boredom squared.

• bbdodger
    bbdodger
    #57 - "Take Sides with Jehovah!".....Once with confusion my sad heart was filled, Drinking the cup that tradition distilled; Oh with what gladness and joy it was thrilled. When your sweet message I heard (when I heard)!....Chorus: Take sides with Jehovah; Make him your delight; He'll never forsake you; Walk e'er in his light. Tell, tell the glad tidings Of freedom and peace, His rule by Christ Jesus Will ever increase.

I remember that song, that was in the pink book, and probably the brown book (if I remember it). I have it in my head... it sounds like the tune of a certain "John Denver" tune. Annie's Song. Does anyone else agree?

Anyway, I remember that the brown book had pictures of King David with his lyre in the inside covers. Am I remembering that correctly?

About practicing the Kingdom Songs with guitar and violins the night before... can you imagine what would have happened if headquarters got word of that? I bet they'd put out a bulletin to nip that in the bud!

This is bringing back so many memories! I looked through a copy of Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained the other day, and the picture of Jesus on the "stake" (what a crock...) he had NO BEARD! Now I'm wondering now if that was to coincide with the fact that beards are frowned upon in the "truth",and if Jesus had a beard, it would cause confusion

• BFD
    BFD

I can still play "We Thank You Jehovah" on the piano from memory. I haven't stepped foot in a KH since 1978. I can still remember the words...

We thank you Jehovah each day and each night

That you shed upon us your precious light....

What's up with that?

BFD

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey bbdodger, as you mentioned if headquarters got wind of that it would be stopped, needless to say our little rehearsals lasted a year if that long !! Gee, wonder what happened ? ? ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit