drugs or religeon

by blueviceroy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I ask myself which is more harmful slavish devotion to chemicals (which is openly discouraged) or slavish devotion to a system of beliefs which is most often encouraged . I understand the motivations behind doing something that defies common sense and fighting with your last bit of will to continue on a certain course no matter what your concious says. Us recovering from addiction understand it completely. Ignoring that inner voice is called insanity unless your inner voice is crazy but Im assuming not . I see a marked similairity between this need to belong to something greater and the need for a substence to be filling the same need which is to feel better about yourself. God gave us all the ability to feel good about ourselves but unfortunetly other people do things to us that take that away . Organized religeon taken to an extreme which cuts you off from associating with the outside world sounds reallly creepy and strange . Interacting only on a level of distributing propaganda is a disfunctional situation. Jesus didnt just go around giving out information he lived in the trenches just like the rest of us . He didnt cut himself off from things he deemed unclean. He lived as an example for people showing there was a better way. He never shunned anyone or anything, you know last time I checked Jesus had givin us new laws to live by you know "dont put new wine in old skins?" The more research I do the more ill I feel having even contemplated the idea of having anything to do with jws . I really feel sorry for all the people that are sucked into cults and Im glad I did a little research . When you are hooked you will do anything no matter how painful or humilating to get what you need I wonder how much pain and humiliation people endure for the sake of organized religeon?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Same thing.

-Karl Marx

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Sadly it's always the vulnerable that gets hooked the most. Is it true that most Witnesses have had troubled pasts. I would like to hear more, please.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Both in my opinion are a vise of irresponsibility, which one is the most damaging to the individual is debatable, they are both mentally damaging to varying degrees

• Carmel
    Carmel

Me thinks your thread should be titled "Drugs or Cult membership". Painting all religion as if it were like the JWs is inaccurate at best. ' carmel

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

John Lennon said - Stick your dope with religion and sex and TV

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Yes you are right not all religeons are cults sorry about that sometimes i cant express myself as well as i would like .

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

10 Reasons why beer (or drugs in general) are better than Jesus (religion)

10. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.

9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.

8. Beer has never caused a major war.

7. They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.

6. When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.

5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over his brand of Beer.

4. You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.

3. There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.

2. You can prove you have a Beer.

1. If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

The link between religion and dopamine has been well established.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit