GOOD STANDING-what does it really mean

by Tina 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Hi All,
    I asked this question in hillarys thread.Since it may get lost and was a whole nother topic,thought Id ask here.

I've been wondering about this label for some time now.
    In my old cong. 'good standing' meant someone attending mtgs,FS etc. I had never heard it applied to walkaways.(such as myself).
    Does this term have a rather elastic definition? Depending on a particular BOE views it? Or personal politics regarding the walkaways?
    Does it simply mean walking away w/o being DF or DA?(tho it doesnt make sense to me in that respect either).
    I left with no issues or quarrels. I had never revealed any doubts etc. No elder mtgs in the backroom.Just stopped cold turkey,so to speak.
    I remember that those having been inactive for years,upon returning had to meet w/ the elders,often having to study w/ them or someone they appointed for a bit. And that we were 'casually' warned to be cautious in our association with them at first.This happen to anyone else?
    I guess those who were formerlly in positions of authority would know more about this.
    Seems to me that it's like being in a union,if you stop paying dues,you're no longer in good standing with them.
    Can one be considered inactive and in good standing together??That doesnt make sense if it's good standing is defined as active participation.....
    Any one wanna help me sort this out please/ Thanks in advance.Tina

NOW PLAYING AT SIMONS MULTIPLEX!
    'The Good,The Bad,The Fundy'

Special Matinee HORROR!!!!
    THIS WILL SCARE YOU,MAKE YOU SCREAM AT NIGHT!!! See-
    'I Was A Teenage JW Pioneer!
    PG-13

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

There was a time when 'good standing' meant the minimum hours of field service are met, not df'd or da'd;

But it seems more recently that good standing now means simple not df'd, da'd, or under any restrictions and not in imminent danger of a JC. It may vary from congregation to congregation, and an elder/pioneer may have a different interpretation of the phrase from a publisher/inactive member in the same congregation!!! This last is my interpretation.

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• Tina
    Tina

Hi dung!
    Thanks! One thing I've learned on these boards is that all congs are diferent,due to the prevailing BOE and how they interpret certain policies etc. I came from a hard-core strict one compared to many others. And I know from some still there that they still apply good standing as being active. Maybe many congs are lightening up a bit. Thanks again.luv,Tina

PG-13

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day tina,

take it from me sweatheart, you're no longer a JW in good standing .. hee hee.

uncle teenage pioneer

NOT PLAYING AT JEHOVAH'S KINGDOM HALL!

• Tina
    Tina

((((((((teenage galah))))))))))))
    heheheheh I'll take yer word luv ">
    I was just using myself as a 'for instance'. THAT'S the last thing I wanna be lololo.
    Seriously,just was trying to figure that out as I've seen it's definition tends to vary.
    Watch for snailmail wiv pix finally! Smile! Buddha lurves you Unc ">(me 2)
    Tina who danced happily out of the KH in her Owliegater shoes.

PG-13

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thanks Hooter,

Snail is the mail I love best.

In JW world "goodstanding" means not on some Elders toes. .. especially with them thump'n great disco boots a yours girl! They lost quite a gal when you waltzed out my dear.

Three cheers to all the happy runnaways! unc.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

"good standing"; noun, usually as the object of the preposition "in" as with the context of the WTBTS organization.

Definitions:

1. Toadie (the really brainwashed)

2. Ass-kisser (the insecure)

3. Really good actor/actress (on their way out)

• soylibre
    soylibre

Tina, just wanted to let you know that Cathy in Chicago is trying to get in touch with you, she just moved and lost your email address. If you still have her address, she wants to hear from you. If you need it, hit me up, [email protected] just be sure you put something in the subject line or I won't open it.

Thanks, Soylibre

• Tina
    Tina

Skimmer lolol. Seems like that sums it all up.thanks.hugs,T

SOy!
    Thank you! Sending you mail.
    I wondered what happened to her.I know she could use some support. Have her mail me,maybe she and I can get together over coffee ,talk and stuff! hugs,T

PG-13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit