I think my ignorance is complete

by blueviceroy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Im newly introduced to

jws from a coworker and i do a bible study on saturday i hear a lot of disinfranchised former members I understand putting up with all the inevitable hypochrosy and not being given a real choice as a child could really sour you on a religion. Im merely curious and have no intention of becoming a member as i have a relationship with God that I have worked very hard to obtain. But what is a "dub" And really it makes me sad to see the positive message of dealing with loved ones mixed up with so much contradictive information . I certainly see many inconsistencies in just the few lessons we have had .

• Open mind
    Open mind

Jehovah's Witness = JW = Jdub = dub

• Gopher
    Gopher
    i hear a lot of disinfranchised former members

I'm glad you didn't say "bitter" or "negative", because most of us are not. We just strongly disagree with WTS teaching and tactics.

I understand putting up with all the inevitable hypochrosy and not being given a real choice as a child could really sour you on a religion.

Well, it soured me on the JW's. After leaving I considered religion, but never got comfortable being preached at and told someone's opinion about a deity and how to please it/him.

Im merely curious and have no intention of becoming a member

If you're curious, you don't need to continue your study. We on this board can explain exactly what the JW's believe and why, having been there for so long. I preached it a long time, and know the logic used quite well.

as i have a relationship with God that I have worked very hard to obtain.

I believe your relationship with family and fellow people are more tangible and are very much worth working at. (Just my personal assessment: if there is a God, he, she or it is off on some distant project somewhere and is not interested in us on earth)

And really it makes me sad to see the positive message of dealing with loved ones mixed up with so much contradictive information .

JW's talk a real good game. But lots of groups, religious or not, have a "positive message". There's nothing really special about the JW message, except for how STRANGE it is.

I certainly see many inconsistencies in just the few lessons we have had .

Then you're certainly not a sheeplike one that the JW's are looking for. At some point soon, you'll probably see little or no value in such studies. Some people make the mistake of getting "attached" to the JW who is calling on them, and it makes it hard to break it off -- which becomes necessary at some point (unless you want an organization try to tell you how to live every little aspect of your life, including your choice of entertainment, friends, work, etc.)

• PEC
    PEC

and the control of every aspect of your sex life.

Philip

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome. I don't think there is any ignorance to it.

You are simply listening to some new thoughts and questioning them. This is good. In fact, if you have questions, ask them now. Because once a person becomes a baptised witness he is not to question any teaching, under threat of disfellowshipping (excommunication.)

You will find out many things on this forum to ask about, many of them surprising. Ask, for instance, details about the founder of the religion, Charles T. Russell, and his teachings about pyramids and the correlation to the year 1914.

Ask about the WT involvement in the United Nations.

You may find out about many other things you have concerns about by staying in this forum.

Let us know how the jw answers your questions.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

blueviceroy,

There's nothing wrong with learning something new and I do believe you should learn it from the source. However, make sure you see their teachings from all sides. Ask questions, lots of them and make sure you get answers. As someone who has conducted numerous study (as many as 20+ at one time), I know its very common for them to put questions on hold and get to them next week as to stay on topic when there is no real intention in answering the question. Also be careful, as you will learn not to question what you are learning. Don't fall into this trap.

A previous post recommended topics to discuss, here are couple more you might bring up with your study conductor (in a sincere manner):

1) What's going to happen to the millions of people in the world that know nothing of Jehovah?

2) Why do JW in the US choose not to vote when their brothers in other countries do? If they tell you JW don't vote, their incorrect as their literature says its a conscious matter.

3) Why do JW strongly discourage a college education and/or entreprenuerism?

4) Why don't they participate in community events (even the ones that are non-religious and non-political) or help with charities? There's no feeding of the homeless or fundraisers or even school supply drives...nope...nothing.

5) Ask them if they had the choice on just one saturday of going from door-to-door vs participating in a charity walk or run that would help fund free preventive health screenings, which would they choose? They would say that they would choose door-to-door work but most of them would probably sleep in and not do either. They would rather do nothing instead of getting involved with real endeavors to help others.

There's nothing wrong with having an open mind and just don't let the JW's close it. Best wishes on your journey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit