Looking for a little insight for a school project re: BiPolar Disorder.

by lostlantern 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

Hello everyone. I am working on my school assignment and I have a couple of questions regarding helpful activities for individuals with bipolar disorder. I don't have any personal experience with the disease, does anyone have any knowledge or family members that have had to live with this? I have done some research but I can't find any information that relates to 'daily activities' that may help an individual. I am referring to activities and goals that can help a person through a day and make life more enjoyable, this is in addition to medication. Does anyone mind sharing? (ie. taking a college class, a pottery class, walking, exercise, etc)

By the way after much hard work I have been accepted into the college program that I wanted. I am being inducted into the International Honors Society and I am well on my way to becoming the professional I have always dreamed of. I appreciate everyone's support in this forum and the encouragement I have received.

Thanks

• moshe
    moshe

I was married to a lady who was bipolar for about one year. The only activity that she liked was SEX- 3x a day, 6x a day- as much as she could get. And she liked shopping for bras- in one week she bought 72 of them. I hope that medicines for bipolarism are better now than they were in 1990.

• jgnat
    jgnat

moshe, the medications available in 1990 were just fine. I suspect your lady-friend did not take them very faithfully.

Ask away lostlantern, I'm surrounded.

...helpful activities for individuals with bipolar disorder.

Tongue in cheek, their families would say, "stay on the medication!"

A bipolar on the "high" might be on any number of committees and societies. For a time they will be popular, and their energy and enthusiasm contagious. Then the crash, the recrimination, the confused societies left floundering in the flotsam and the jetsam of their ambitious schemes.

After a particularly disastrous "high", I'm usually approached by the bi-polar with a raft of excuses for their barely-remembered bad behavior during those times. It might have included vicious attacks on my person and destruction of property. They vaguely know they've done wrong, but also don't feel particularly responsible, either. My heartfelt wish is that the bipolar keep those excuses to himself. I reserve the right to remember, and protect myself from any dreaded future incident.

I have done some research but I can't find any information that relates to 'daily activities' that may help an individual.

I've read that sleep is good for a bipolar on a high, and staying awake during the low. This goes counter to their natural inclination, by the way.

Many bipolars can be wonderfully articulate and creative. A daily journal may help. This can also help them and trusted friends track their state of mind.

A bipolar should develop an internal rating system, say from 0 to 10, with 0 being very depressed and 10 being very high, to help them track their own state of mind.

I hear the latest thinking is to teach the mentally ill to take some responsibility for their illness. A bipolar should learn to rate their state of mind daily, learn their own patterns, and resolve if they are too high or low, to call their trusted friend for help.

It seems to me that unscheduled, irregular drop-in classes in their interest area would be best. The person can then attend or drop out without causing disruption or guilt.

Near the end of her disease, my mother prefers routine. She enjoys walks in her local park. She corresponds regularly with her extended family. She clips out articles of interest and includes them with her letters.

• prophecor
    prophecor

http://www.projectplaylist.com/musicsearch?searchfor=lithium+sunset&search.x=17&search.y=12

Sting says it so succinctly, here.

Lithium can work wonders, or so it seems.

I always hated it because it took me out of my highs and made everything feel like cardboard, however....

• changeling
    changeling

Jgnat's insight is right on the money. You would do well to incorporate what she said into your report.

I would add or rather stress the importance of taking meds faithfully and contacting the doctor asap if they don't seem to be working.

Bi-polar is a life long condition that requires a commitment to taking meds. The sooner a person wraps their brain around this fact the better for them and everyone around them.

Regular exercise that involves the mind as well as the body, such as yoga, is very helpfull. Yoga also provides a way to calm oneself by controling the breath which comes in handy when feeling agitated.

Hope this helps,

changeling (bi-polar)

• oompa
    oompa

Moshe, can I have your exwifes phone number pleae or e-mail! LOL

But seriously I am being treated for this and am on cymbalta, lythium, one that starts with a Z. In two years swiched meds 15 times, and they really werent sure if it was bi-polar, or ADHD, or both.

life sucks sometime.....oompa

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Yes, my EX sister in law has bipolar (manic-depressive) she's a f**king nutter but i'm not sure thats because of her illness or its just her otherwise.

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

Thanks everyone. This gives me the personal side, it will greatly help.

I appreciate your sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit