Dub w/soul patch?

by La Capra 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• La Capra
    La Capra

I was at the gym this morning, pouring myself a cup of coffee and I noticed a sweaty man sitting at a table reading what looked like the small version of the maroon deluxe NWT (the one made out of pig leather that were all the rage in the early 90's before the "donation arrangement"). (For anyone who cares, he was in revelation.) It also appeared that he had a colorful tract or magazine and the daily text book (Are those spiral bound now? It's the only thing I could think of that could be WTBTS-related). At any rate, along with the WTBTS rags, the man was sporting a soul patch? What's become of the Wine Country Witnesses? Shoshana

• Scully
    Scully
    Wine Country Witnesses

That has a nice ring to it, you know. Maybe a title for a soap opera...

• changeling
    changeling

WItnesses are into having all papaerback books spiral bound these days. They do not come like that from the Society.

An elder in a neighboring cong had a soul patch for awhile (he was white). He gave a talk at our hall sporting it. We all thought it was weird. He did not have it for long.

changeling

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Black brothers are allowed to have soul patches, white brothers no. At least that's how I heard it at Bethel. Even mustaches are discouraged for white brothers but black and hispanic witnesses may have them without sanction.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I was told point blank by my former elders that they are a "worldly fashion". When I asked, well then how come you can have hair on one side of your lips and be elders, but I ask to have hair on the other side of my lip and its a "worldly fashion"

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

my old p.o. had a soul patch. when i grew a goatee, everyone freaked out. go figure.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Facial hair rules among the JWs is a fiasco, more dependent on personal prejeudice among the elders than anything else.

Brothers with soul patches were ususally black, including our old district convention overseer. It was a running joke when I was a Witness that the black brothers could get away with tons more stuff when it came to dress and grooming!

S4

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

yeah, the black brothers always wore loud clothes, and hats, which is really cool. but, woe to a white brother that does. the double standard is laughable.

• memario
    memario

White bros wearing flashy clothes - we would be considered "pimps". lol

Black bros looked cool!

mem

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i know, i wore this to an assembly, and people had the nerve stare.

ru15838_xl.jpg picture by booman76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit