Going through old photos

by bikerchic 5 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm doing some scrap-booking and it's getting harder and harder to find pictures of my kids I can put in their books without a JW reference. Either it's been taken at an assembly, or a gathering (you know covered dish...bla) or there are only JW kids in it with them. All my baby showers were given by the "sisters" and there are so many faces I can't stop thinking about these people and wondering if they are still "in".

Thing is they all have told me how they hate that they were brought up in that cult and how it's affected their lives so I don't want to bring any more reminders to them. Oh and these are books I'm giving to each of them as a gift they don't know I'm doing them.

Anyway I decided to make one book JW crap in it, maybe at some time we can kick back and look at it with fond memories. They had some good childhood friends, we all did and assembly times were all about family getting together for us so those are good times to remember. I have to keep telling myself it wasn't all bad.

Anyone else have photos like this? What do you do with them? I have run across some good ones and would like to crop out the JW stuff so I can use them, has anyone done that?

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Yes, everytime I look at my mother's photos they are about JW weddings or our family attending large eight day assemblies.

I see some JW wedding pictures from the kingdom hall, and it reminds me how I was not allowed to get married at the kingdom hall with out reason! We were both baptized,in good standings, and went out in service every week. Hmm not good memories but I can not throw them out.

What is so good about looking at a crowd and little children suffering through those large eight day assemblies or were they 14 days? It only remindes me that no one keeps in touch. Or that we stood in a line in front of a building or someones car. The cars were cool!

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Hey thanks a lot! I think I can do some cutting and pasting and just get rid of what I do not like.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    our family attending large eight day assemblies.

Oh girl that dates you! LOL we must be around the same age I so remember those 8 day assemblies! How horrible they were!! Ugg! I am so glad they stoped that by the time I had my kids I though four days was beyond reasonable with babies in tow!

Yes crop and chop! LOL I think I see some new electronics in my future like a scanner that does good photo prints. Any suggestion out there?

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

I thought Bikerchick was something from the 70s! Did you notice I am a senior on here now? I think it should say teenager.

Have fun with the pictures! Can't help you with the scanner.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

We have a few JW photos, but honestly, I was so depressed trying to be the perfect JW most of the time, that I didn't take a whole lot of pictures at JW events. I think subconsciously I was aware of what was making me so miserable for a long time. We used to give presents on assembly and convention days, so I have pictures of my kids with their presents. I also have one of my daughter and some of her friends together at an assembly, and a few of "get togethers" that other JWs gave me (although I never took pictures at get togethers myself-how interesting). We also belonged to a 4H group that had started out all JW kids and ended up with "worldly", Tarot card reading kids in it (ooohh boy did we ever get counseled for that, but we refused to give up the group, LOL), so I have pictures of that group.

For us, looking at the photos has been therapy. We are far enough out now that we can talk about both the good and the bad aspects of being JW. I think it helps for my kids that most of their friends left about the time we did, too.Although I must say, my daugher took some of my photos when she went out on her own, but left the JW related ones with me.

Putting them in a separate album is a great idea. People vary in the time they are ready to deal with the past.Some never want reminders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit