How many of you still believe in God or are still Christians?

by JWCartPusher 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

Sarcasm alert!

we need to sharpen each other's sword

I'd just prefer a reach around.

Welcome Cart and Logos!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Logos one thing you will run into on this forum........ especially from folks who are concerned about losing their faith........... is 'rational ignorance' the definition is:

1. Ignorance about an issue is said to be "rational" when the cost of educating oneself about the issue sufficiently to make an informed decision can outweigh any potential benefit one could reasonably expect to gain from that decision, and so it would be irrational to waste time doing so.

So people of faith, let's say JW'S or Mormons or Scientology, the Amish will not make an effort to really find out the truth about their particular religion, it's history and peculiar beliefs because they have no reason to do so because they don't want to learn the inconvenient truths and then have to live with lies or change how they live. And why is that such a big deal because all of these religions have one thing in common they all practice hardcore shunning.

One survives in those religions by accepting, without serious question, that it has the truth and it's holy book is inspired as is their interruption of it.

On this Forum we have people who have learned TTATT and it is the norm to challenge misstatements or something that is not accurate. Within that process we do have believers, and semi believers and non believers existing together.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I would like to believe in god, but as hard as try I just can't do it. But I promise to keep trying.
  • Clambake
    Clambake

I find anti-Christian literature exactly the same as Watchtower literature. It is twisted and complicated with no real consistently in its teachings and often is boastful and arrogant. It often comes down to a certain type of theism where I don’t really understand what I believe but it is anti-Christian so it must be true. Richard Dawkins born into another life would most likely be the most uber Elder or even a C.O.

The way I look at is the bible doesn’t say the earth is 6000 years old. The 6000 years comes from the genealogy of Jesus Christ in the new testament dating back to Adam. The interesting part about the number 6000 is it the time most scientists agree that civilization began in Iraq. Adam and Eve could just be a parable about the consciousness of man. Who knows?

Instead of worrying about the first 4.6 billion years , I think we might want to wonder about the last 6000 instead.

• cofty
    cofty
    The 6000 years comes from the genealogy of Jesus Christ in the new testament dating back to Adam

Which is totally impossible. Humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years. Homo sapiens have be around for over 100 000 years. These things are facts. If you want to have a faith that is your choice but you need to make it compatible with reality.

Also the gospels present two genealogies which are contradictory and cannot be reconciled.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    According to Paul, the account of Adam and Eve was not a parable, but true history. Paul believed that Adam was the first man. Paul believed in many myths, which tells us that he had no "holy spirit".
  • Clambake
    Clambake

Cofty

Perfect example of how the WTS never really leaves you. You quoted me out of context.

LoL

The point I was trying to make is there is a big difference between the consciousnesses of man and the origin of the species.

• cofty
    cofty
    Perfect example of how the WTS never really leaves you. You quoted me out of context

That's a cheap shot, you should be embarrassed.

Perhaps if you didn't use vague terms like "the consciousness of man"

Advanced human civilisation with art and language and ritual, religion and complex societies have existed for 10s of thousands of years.

• Clambake
    Clambake

The majority of archaeologists agree that the cradle of civilization is Mesopotamia Iraq roughly 6000-10000 years ago.

Sorry, this isn't a religious thing. Just a textbook thing. Quit watching Ancient Aliens.
  • cofty
    cofty

20 000 year old pottery in China

40 000 year old cave art in Indonesia

How do you link this with your 6000 years since "human consciousness"?

Perhaps do some reading before misquoting textbooks Clambake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit