Why Do People Have Children?

by hillary_step 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ness
    ness
    I think that exJWs tend to value our lifespan a great deal more than we did as JWs - after all, as JWs we believed we had all the time in the world - a thousand years! - ahead of us to do whatever we want, and that made it OK to squander the present on WTS interests in exchange for an everlasting future.

wow, that hit a bit close to home :(

• Highlander
    Highlander

As a j-dub I looked forward to the 'living forever in paradise earth' concept. As an x-dub and an atheist I see the circle of life as it is. The one thing I would say I retain from the dubs is the desire to live a longer life, perhaps forever. However, I suspect that most other people would want to live longer than what is expected, but I don't know for certain as I cannot speak for anyone but myself.

Adoption has always been something I've given serious thought to. The problem is that my wife(aside from being a j-dub) is very much against the idea of adoption.

There's no doubt in my mind that I haven't fully come to terms with the fact that I will die. Ofcourse I know it will happen, but the indoctrination I received from the j-dubs may still be lingering in my mind whispering 'sweet nothings' to me.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There's no doubt in my mind that I haven't fully come to terms with the fact that I will die. Ofcourse I know it will happen, but the indoctrination I received from the j-dubs may still be lingering in my mind whispering 'sweet nothings' to me.

I agree. Got to let it go.

Embracing your own mortality is one of the most freeing things you can experience.

It's all good after that.

Good luck!

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    The problem is that my wife(aside from being a j-dub) is very much against the idea of adoption.

Why?

• Highlander
    Highlander

She won't explain why. My wife is notorious for never communicating her opinion beyond face value. She just gets this scowl look on her face when I told her that I don't want children of my own, but instead want to adopt.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Selfishness

Many I would imagine come thru as a result of not using birth control.

Few people I know have them because they were planned.

As regards a noble reason, I don't believe you can ever be fully human, in all your experience without having children.

Children born of your loins are the final cement in the building up of our humanity.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I got married in 72 becaus I was trying to do the best I could as a witness. I wanted to be with my life and spend my life with her.

She had a need for a baby. must have been genetically programmed. I had a need for sex. She had a need for children.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

I must say that of all earthly pursuits I have ever engaged in my 53 years, catching my daughters in birth, raising them loving them right up to the point of coming home one day to be greeted by a policeman to have him inform me that my first born daughter had died by a doctors negligence, nothing has been more wonderful than sharing their lives. I would not have traded one moment of time with out them, for anything this life has to offer.

Shane Draney

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

HS

I think we call our reasons love and faith - good enough for me

• dobbie
    dobbie

I think that until you have children you can't imagine the joy your OWN children bring and the joy you can give in bringing them up. I have known quite a few people that didn't want a child and had one and then went on to have another. And personally i don't think its selfish to have them, its the greatest gift you can give them. And i am now pregnant with my third, all were planned and we don't have welfare for them but hubby works hard to provide and i will work in school hours when they are older, and i have two happy bright little kids. And tbh i can't have more than 3 cos of medical reasons but if i could and we were able to financially i'd go for it again.

I needn't say anything at all really though as HS and NVR have summed it all up nicely (as usual)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit