Organ Donation

by Amyfa 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

Can a JW be an organ donor? I have read they can't give blood but can they carry a donor card?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes, they give their souls to the Watchtower Society.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Good question.

I would like to know the answer, they enjoy freedom and take, take, take but I doubt they give.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I'm not sure if there is anything "official" on organ donation. I always carry my card in my wallet, even as a JW.

BB

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I've been an organ donor since I was 18 and so are many JWs that I know. JWs are permitted to accept organs, as long as they are "bloodless surgeries". Although now that they can accept blood fractions, that blows the whole "bloodless surgery" out of the water, now doesn't it?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Organ Transplants were banned by The Watchtower in the 1960's saying that "Organ Transplants are cannibalism..." Many Witnesses died rather than recieve a transplant. Then in 1980 the Watchtower reversed this decision saying; "Some may view organ transplants as cannibalism....it is a conscience matter to be decided by the individual..." Since then many Witnesses have been saved by having the operation. {I know a sister with a new liver} This doctrine today is a dead topic, most Witnesses dont realize like blood it was once a disfellowshiping offence to get a transplant. The publications were full of negative comments {1960-1970's} about how transplants dont work and are bad for you. {Cause Physcotic breakdown, absorb personality of donor, wierd!} One article I remember from the 69 Awake claimed some transplant doctors were under the influence of demons!

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

DEfender--here it is specifically from the literature, found it on an old WT library Cd

"Is there anything in the Bible against giving one's eyes (after death) to be transplanted to some living person?-L. C., United States. The question of placing one's body or parts of one's body at the disposal of men of science or doctors at one's death for purposes of scientific experimentation or replacement in others is frowned upon by certain religious bodies. However, it does not seem that any Scriptural principle or law is involved. It therefore is something that each individual must decide for himself." Watchtower 1961 Aug 1 p.480 Questions from Readers

ready for change?

"Sustaining one's life by means of the body or part of the body of another human ... would be cannibalism, a practice abhorrent to all civilized people. ... It is not our place to decide whether such operations are advisable from a scientific or medical standpoint... Christians who have been enlightened by God's Word do not need to make these decisions based simply on the basis of personal whim or emotion. They can consider the divine principles and use these in making personal decisions as they look to God for direction, trusting him and putting their confidence in the future that he has in store for those who love him." Watchtower 1967 Nov 15 pp.702-704

now speaking from someone who was disfellowshipped by accepting a transplant i know for a fact that for 13 years this was a DF'ing offense. And hence, labelled and shunned. Then the stance changed in the 80's to just a conscience matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit