Twisted Logic on Daniel 4 and Revelation

by Metamorphosis 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

I was initially researching why the WTBTS applies Daniel 4 to the Gentile Times. The only explanation really given is because both Revelation and Daniel use the term "times". So since Revelation uses the term time, times, and half a time which is 1,260 days and then Daniel uses the term 7 times which represents 2,520 days it must have been God's secret way of telling us that Daniels prophey meant something more. Which still doesn't connect it to the Gentile times in my head. Doesn't seem very logical, even if it is indicating a greater prophecy of 2,520 something - why the end of the gentile times?

Even more illogical is that i noticed they apply the day for a year to the prophecy in Daniel to the "times" but don't apply it to the Revelation times - that is straight up 1,260 days or 3 1/2 years. If they are going to link the two due to the use of times shouldn't the application be the same as well? If the Revelation reference was a secret way to figure out Daniel - wouldn't the times be calculated and used the same way? Well no, says the Society because nothing significant happened after 2,520 days from the Gentile times beginning - so you have to go and apply it differently.

And somehow the 3 1/2 days for the two witnesses earlier in Revelation equals 3 1/2 years (though a different 3 1/2 years than the one a few chapters later - what a coincidence!). However a day for a year is applied for the witnesses - but not for the woman.

And my wife wonders why I stopped attending the book study all together when they started studying this book again.

Morph (3 1/2 times fed up with this nonsense)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

And think about this, all that information in Daniel had been available to the Jews for centuries. Why, when his disciples asked Jesus what would be the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things did he never mention it? He actually did take the time to reference Daniel (Matt 24:15) but didn't use this golden opportunity to say anything about 1260 days, 2520 days, 7 times or any other such nonsense.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Your forgot the central absurdity in the whole 1914 doctrine. The Society would claim that the incapacitation of a Gentile king symbolizes a period of Gentile supremacy, and the cutting down of God's kingdom in 607 BC is symbolized by the incapacitation of a pagan Gentile king, and not just any king, but the very ruler who ended the Judean kingdom in 607 BC. It puts your brain in knots trying to think through this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit