An answer to Intelligent Design?

by PrimateDave 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I'm about to purchase the book The Tinkerer's Accomplice: How Design Emerges from Life Itself by J. Scott Turner.

The description says that the author takes on the challenge of explaining how design in living organisms occurs in nature without resorting to the unfalsifiable concept of "GOD." I thought it might be a good read and an answer, as it were, to the August 15 Watchtower feature article "What Does Design in Nature Reveal?" As always, the Society manages to make the inexplicable mental jump from the concept of intelligent design straight to the God of the Bible, as if the Bible somehow has a monopoly on religious faith among sentient primates on this planet. Their argument: Living organisms show evidence of design. The Bible says that God made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them. Therefore, the God of the Bible designed living organisms. They say that the God of the Bible is no "God-of-the-gaps," but from what I've read of the Bible, Jehovah is the God of the Credibility Gap.

So, I digress. Has anyone read The Tinkerer's Accomplice?

Dave

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Do I have really bad body odor?

Dave

• eclipse
    eclipse

LOL Dave,

I have not read it. It looks very interesting however. Thank you for sharing it.

I was thinking about this topic while driving (is it sad that I think about JWD topics while I am away from my comp?).

• Shepherd Book
  • Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Dave,

I have not read this book, either, but thanks for the suggestion. I will read it soon. I am currently reading "Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction", which details similar ideas.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Thanks! Just like to have a little feedback, that's all.

Does life show evidence of design? Yes. Random mutation and natural selection seem to be insufficient to explain many intricate biological processes.

Do lifeforms evolve? Without a doubt. The evidence for Evolutionary Theory is abundant. For instance, we know for a fact that humans and chimpanzees share a common ancestry.

Is Jehovah the "Grand Creator"? No. A Canaanite/Hebrew tribal deity that enjoyed the smell of burnt flesh has nothing to offer modern science.

Dave

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

"A Canaanite/Hebrew tribal deity that enjoyed the smell of burnt flesh has nothing to offer modern science. "

...Hilarious. And well said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit