"... you can't say to someone 'look it isn't really like that' because

by educ8self 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• educ8self
    educ8self

where they're at it is like that!" That's a quote from a lecture given at Naropa University on 12 levels of consciousness (or initiation, to use another term) that I go back to from time to time. I won't get into the whole thing but a recent experience with someone with kind of an innocent attitude helped me appreciate this point. One of the things said was when you've reached a higher level (which is not to imply better in any sense of personal worth, but simply more inclusive in scope/perspective) you automatically have compassion on those who have not reached that level. Although there's no great story because it's not really some aha moment, somehow after meeting this person I literally can't seem to get upset at people for being a certain way anymore. Another post I was working on made me realize that knowing a person's mental state is just as important as the content of what they are communicating, there is that relational dimension which is not really touched on in a discussion that is strictly academic. And in thinking about the levels it becomes obvious that this perspective is indicative of a lack of interest in the 2nd level which is all about polar opposites, or the third for that matter which adds a choosing entity. Although I don't think you are necessarily just in one stage but rather have access to and develop on multiple levels at the same time, there is something to be said about where someone is primarily functioning from and really established at. And of course this might be easy to understand conceptually but our dominant view might show we don't really "get it" - for example someone might try to talk about choice (#3) a lot but do so in a reactive, antagonistic way. (#2) Anyway, on a more practical note I suppose it is probably very rare to have a dialogue without relating to the other person on some level, which would mean it isn't just about what is said. Even if it may seem insignificant, (just a post on an internet forum) we are having a direct effect on the other person, then, rather than just exchanging information. To put it another way, we have the power to touch other people's lives. I don't mean this in a touchy-feely sense, just as a reality. So the question is do we do so in a significant way, and is it for better or worse?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes.

We do all touch one another. For better or for worse.

Interesting post.

• RAF
    RAF

Interesting post ...

To put it another way, we have the power to touch other people's lives. I don't mean this in a touchy-feely sense, just as a reality. So the question is do we do so in a significant way, and is it for better or worse?

I think it's just good to leave it as a question ... so that we always question ourselve about it

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Interesting post. Your comments reminded me of an interview with Edward de Bono:

De Bono does not believe in arguments. "They are the most crude way of getting a solution," he says. "Usually in an argument, I can see the other person's point of view. It comes down to three basic things: different information, different perception and different values. Once you can see where people come from you can consider if the other person has better information and compare their values and perceptions to yours. I am willing to listen."

http://education.guardian.co.uk/academicexperts/story/0,,2063751,00.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit