Anyone from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood?

by Alpaca 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

This is the 10th Anniversary month for my departure from the misery of being a Witness. Just wondering if anyone on this board is from the Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood area in South Florida. I was associated with the Las Olas Cong. in Ft. Lauderdale and the Hollywood North Cong. in Hollywood. It would be interesting to see if any former friends have also wakened up to the bogus and repressive lifestyle of the Witnesses. Does anyone know Jill Thomas/Lillienthal? Alpaca

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Actually, the last 10 years has been very productive. I am almost finished with both a law degree and a Masters degree in Geology. Wow....good stuff!!!

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hi:

We moved from Queens, NY to Hollywood, FL in 2003. We did not attend many meetings in Hollywood so do not really know any of the JWs. However, is anyone from Queens, NY?

Ronin1

• lawrence
    lawrence

I lived in Davie, Florida for a while and visited that congo a dozen times over 5 years - what a bunch of mean snob low lives. (1980)

I lived in Hollywood for a while and visited that congo a few times (1985) - cold as ice in the midst of South Florida caliente.

The old and the crazy introduced themselves to me, the elders were avoiding - the single sisters were checking out the new prospective. I would come after the prayer and leave before the prayer.

So happy I DA'ed in 1977. Needed to get the pulse of the cult - now we have the Internet. No more visits!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi! I lived in your neck of the woods for about 10 years, and was a designer at Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow Interiors on Las Olas Blvd. I was already out when I moved down there, but I did place an ad in a newspaper looking for other Ex-Jw's when I first moved there, and got quite a few calls from all over Broward County. I eventually stopped hanging out with them because of my depression. I was sorry I did that as I could have had friends who understood where each other was coming from in regards to the Org.

Maybe you could try an ad?!

Good luck, CJ

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Alpaca,

WELCOME to the forum!! Glad to have you here.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Hey everybody, Thanks for the responses. CJ, I remember that design studio (Y,T, & T) -- I had a yacht canvas & upholstery business during the 70s & 80s and I was always on Las Olas Blvd. I moved to Ohio in 1999 (after being a life-long Floridian) to go to school (almost finished). When I left the BORG it was time for a big change. Lawrence, sorry to hear about the negative experiences at the Kingdom Halls. Actually, in all the years I was a Witness, I met many very kind, genuine people. It is unfortunate that the BORG and the lemmings (rank & file -- including the elders) are so misguided. It's really a sad waste of human potential. All the best to everyone. Alpaca

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Alpace,

While I did not go to any congregations in ft laud. I recently moved to south florida near Fort Lauderdale. Have not found any active ex-jws to hang with, but have plenty of stories. Are you still in Ft Laud?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit