Since when?!!!!

by mjs mouse, ben 6 Replies latest jw friends

• mjs mouse, ben
    mjs mouse, ben

Recently one of my brothers sons who is a 22 yr old JW mentioned to me rather excitedly that he just got back from OZZFest 2007, telling me him and his GF who is also a JW (elders daughter) rocked to bands such as "Ozzie Ozbourne" "Lamb of God" "Three Inches of Blood" and "Static X" to name a few. I was astounded by his "revelation" that he and his GF among many other younger JW kids attended this event with JW parental consent. I remember when I was growing up around the JW religion even mentioning the name of Ozzie Ozbourne was reason for a trip to the back room for a "talk" with the elders. My question is "is this conduct of JW youth now broadly accepted within the religion?"....By the way, he told me this as he was suited up and on his way to the Sunday meeting, lol.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hehehe I remember when there was an article in the Awake, frowning on Disco!! I was VERY young at that time :-)

• choosing life
    choosing life

A lot of the jw youths go to such concerts around here. And yes the parents are usually aware. I remember when I started studying and had to throw away my Black Sabbath albums, along with many others.

Hypocrites!

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I'm actually dumbfounded by the opposite, By those that did everything that was said from the platform. On congregations I went young people would go to concerts all the time. They would even go after the Friday night meetings and go to clubs or parties afterwards. Its like almost everything in life you actually do have a choice to do what you wanted. To put it simply if there was something I wanted to do, I did it no matter what was said from the platform. And from what I could see that's how the majority of witnesses would do things. Of course you would have 1 or 2 real fanatics that did abide by every freaking rule, but those you could just avoid.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

A little off topic but, why would a 22 year old need permission from parents to attend anything?

nj

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Tons of the young JWs I knew attended concerts all the time. I think that is one reason a lot of them stay in. They do what they want, sort of stay out of trouble, go with the flow, don't make waves, and being a Witness becomes a nice little social part of their lives.

A lot of people remain Witnesses and don't take the truth all that seriously.

S4

• poppers
    poppers

"A little off topic but, why would a 22 year old need permission from parents to attend anything? "

That was my first thought, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit