Islamic errors?

by crownboy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

Over the history of its existence, the bible has had its critics and detracters. Going into a bookstore, I was able to find a flood of information that is critical of the bible. However, the same was not true of the Koran. My question is: Is there any questionable scholarship, errors, or curious links with local myths surronding the Koran? I know such critism is no doubt banned in fundamentalist Islamic countries (which is where many Muslims live) and such study is of little interest in non- Islamic countries such as this. I know the author of The Satanic Verses, a book that was only mildly critical of Islam, was lambasted by fundamentalist, and he has had his life threatened. However, my guess is there probably are some good polemical works. I'm not trying to "find fault" with Islam, however, I do wonder if dissent is merely repressed and there actually are problems at the very core of the religion (sort of reminds me of a certain religion) or if Islam was a better put together religion when it comes to harmonizing with established facts. Any comments?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Crwon: I have looked too in bookstores, and found that even the Koran is hard to find. I recommend a large major metropolitan library, or university library to find works critical of Islam, critical of the Koran, etc.

Also, my favorit book store is Powell's in Postland, Oregon. They not only seel many new books, but buy used books and references. They are about the largest single book store in the world. I have always found what I wanted when it was no where else to be found. You can find them on line. They are not as large as Barnes & Noble or Amazon, but I have simply found them more useful and reliable.

The last possibility is that aside from Rushdie's "Satan Verses, maybe no one else ever gave a damn to critique the Koran - or dared. So, it oucld be that such works are few compared to the Bible.

Amazing

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Think back to the witchhunts and heretic burnings of medieval europe. It took a lot of courage back then to defy the religious authorities.
    Then the invention of the printing press led to the Protestant Reformation and the world changed.

Today's Islam is as stuck in a medieval mindset as when it was founded. There have been subtle critics of Islam - Sufis - who got themselves in trouble with the religious leaders and some of them were put to death. Criticism of the word of the prophet is not tolerated - a "fatwa" is issued calling the for death of the offender, just as is was for Salman Rushdie.

• crownboy
    crownboy

I've finally found a critical book about Islam. Actually, they are several books written by Ibn Warraq, the most famous being "Why I am not a Muslim". I'm certain, that like in JW land, such critical books are probably banned from the general public in very fundamentalist Islamic countries.

One point he brings out in one of his books has to do with the Muslim belief that the exact words of Mohamed were remembered perfectly by his followers until they were put into the Koran (which actually was compiled about 200 years later than is usually claimed, thus making the perfect retention of the message even more unlikely). I've often ask my Muslim friends how they could be so confident that not a single sylable could have been mispoken, and the answer, at its essence usually is that "God made sure of it" (they'll initally say that the Arabs back then had great memories, but will be forced to concede that they weren't perfect, hence the reason for the appeal to God).

I think eventually Islam will be secularized, but that may not really happen soon. Most Islamic scholars are scared to death (or do not desire to) critize a book that allegedly are the exact words of the Almighty himself. Warraq (who's a Muslim turned atheist) lives in the U.S., and no doubt if he lived in an Islamic country, he would be killed. If enough people like Warraq come foward, and enough is written about Islam, positive change can be made. Unfortunately, most of Warraq's western counterparts (who are in a position to effect change) are too busy saying "Islam is peace, we're misunderstood", instead of condemning militancy as verbosely as they condemned wrong acts against Muslims. I'm not asking Muslims to drop their religion (as Warriq wants), but once the whole inerrancy issue is settled, maybe they can follow in the footsteps of contemporary Jews and Christains. Quit saying Islamic militants are misinterpreting valid scriptures and hadiths and just recognize that God never said them toi begin with.

Any other books skeptical of Islam available?

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I've read articles by Warraq, and was going to recommend you search for his writings. I beleive that Ibn Warraq is a psuedonym. If I am correct, it is for obvious reasons.

Those obvious reasons are also the reasons there is so little published criticism of the Koran; it is dangerous to ones health.

Here is his statement on the 9/11 tragedy: http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/not_muslim.htm

• crownboy
    crownboy

Thanks 6 of 9.

The views expressed by the writer very much resembles those of mine.

I am very dissapointed by western Muslim scholars and their proclivity for "burying their head in the sand" when asked to address problems about their religion (sounds kind of fimiliar, huh? ).

No sane minded Westerner is fully going to believe that Islam played absolutely no part in September 11th. Whenever you quote for them the scriptures the terrorist used to justify their actions the usual response is "you show a clear ignorance of Islam", "that's not what it meant" or "the terrorist interpretation is a perversion of scripture, true Islam is a religion of peace", though of course they don't actually define what true Islam is. As Warraq points out, the West and especially the Islamic world needs to "wake up and smell the coffee" already. Moderate Muslims need to "get out of their shell" and flat out condemn fundamentalism. But such a thing is never done, because in addition to the fear that moderates have, they know darn well that the fundamentalist are quoting from real scriptures, and they know their only lying to themselves with the whole "Islam is perfect, just misunderstood" mantra. Untill the moderates become brave, nothing will change and the Islamic religion (which actually has many great aspects to it) will only be hurt in the long run.

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit