Has anyone been on strike?

by frozen one 3 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

What was it like?

My employer, the city, and my union are really going at it. The mayor, who won his election with a lot of help from my union and labor in general, is bound and determined to essentially break us. My union is AFSCME. The mayor is saying negotiations are at an impass and he will impose his terms on the bargaining unit. We are saying impose your contract and we will walk. The mayor is up for re-election this year. He has irritated a lot of people in the city so I really don't think he will get past the primary much less win the general. But one never knows. Anyway, the mayor is such a freaking hot head, if he doesn't get past the primary I wouldn't be surprised if he imposed the contract just for spite. I could probably go for months if not over a year without working a lick and if I did go to work I could ride a strike indefinetly. Maybe a strike would make me decide to sell out and move on to somewhere else.

So, has anyone walked a picket? What was the outcome? From what I have read it seems like neither side really wins during a strike and the economic losses can take years to recover for both sides.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

You're right it's really hard to recover financially, and emotionally from a strike. I have experienced two strikes during my many years of employment. Not a good idea to walk accross a picket line. I know that many who carried the signs expressed the desire to do so, but figured that they didn't want to make enemies with thier collegues. You have to just hang in their.

The brothers do not look kindly at you joining a picket line as well.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Unions are strong back in the midwest.. hopefully you won't have to strike..

• frozen one
    frozen one

Thanks connaughty and welcome to the board. How long were you on strike? Did management cave or did the union cave? Or did you end up jobless? I thought our negotiations were going pretty well. We were on board the administration's desires regarding health insurance and wages when - BAM - the administration wanted to get rid of seniority and scrap the lay off/recall language. We'd basically become at will labor. The union would be busted.

The brothers do not look kindly at you joining a picket line as well.

Walking a picket wouldn't make the top 10 list of things I do now that "brothers" would frown on.

Unions are strong back in the midwest

Yes, they are. They are really strong in this part of Minnesota. You know the area, Sassy. It will be an interesting next couple of months around here politics wise. I don't think a union busting mayor will go over well with the labor temple folk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit