Depression...

by Alana 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Alana
    Alana

I was reading another thread discussing bi-polar disorder. I have a situation close to me that concerns me and I don't quite know what to do. A person I know who has been under treatment (medication only) for depression has been under alot of stress. In addition their doctor was wanting to change the medication. Turns out the new meds can cause or increase anxiety and this person apparently had anxiety problems which the other medication apparently helped. Anyway, their doctor added her old medication back in, but she has "bottomed out" more than once over the past couple of weeks. I don't know what I can do to help. Something can set her off into crying, she says she feel numb and worthless, and sometimes cries for whoever is with her (usually her husband) to not leave her because she's not perfect and people who aren't perfect are rejected, etc. Her husband loves her to pieces and wouldn't leave her, but he doesn't know what to do and I'm at a loss as to what to say, except call her doctor or a mental health person. She doesn't see things that aren't there, but sometimes says that she can hear her own voice in her mind sometimes repeating the same word over and over or telling her she worthless. That made me very concerned. To see her from the outside, however, she seems fine and people would probably describe her as easy going, happy, laid back, etc. But, apparently inside she is in turmoil and I'm afraid she's a volcano about to erupt. Anyone experience anything like this? Any suggestions?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

i would advise her to call her doc asap, to be seen about getting the proper meds or right dosage.

When they change meds, or are just starting they need to be closely monitored.

purps

• Jesika
    Jesika

I am on two different meds for depression and anxiety right now. Sometimes it takes a few tries to see what works with the person's body.

Has she seen a counselor or talked to anyone professional? A general doctor isn't really as thouroghly educated on how to deal with things like this. My general doctor STRONGLY suggested to see someone in the mental health field and gave me enough meds for a few months till I could find someone to talk to.

Maybe talking would help, and help figure out what, if any meds she may need. Or find if it is an inbalance or something.

Hope it helps cause I don't know what else to say.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jes

OH......just wanted to add..........the meds take about a month to really take effect, depending on what she is taking........it unfortunately doesn't work over night.

It takes a few weeks for the body to adjust to the change.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Hello Alana, your friends situation I know all to well personally from myself. Until a physician is able to prescribe the right combination to an individual, there is alot of up and down time.. and some very low times. And even medications I have found does not heal depression totally. The best thing I did for myself was to join a depression support group here in my city. It was hard, I didnt want the labels, ect.. but am so glad that I did. All the messages in ones mind, the feelings one has about self while in a depressive stage others in the same situation feel as well. Like this forum, just hearing others speak on how they felt made me feel not so crazy and alone. I would have at the community resources and see what is available out there, I found mine through mental health resources. What a world of difference this support has made to my life.

I hope your friend finds peace.. its a tough place to be in for your friend, and all supporting!

LTF

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Having had experience with family and friends either bi-polar or depressed, your friends best bet is to go to a Licensed Psychiatrist M.D. The family doctor or a therapist is not qualified for what sounds like very real and serious issues. You could even help by talking to a few of the ones accepting their insurance and also volunteering to go along for the initial visits.

Take care, as the above is about all you can really do to help...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    your friends best bet is to go to a Licensed Psychiatrist M.D

The above is excellant advice. I just assumed she would being going to a psychiatrist. My daughter gets her counselling from one person and her meds from the MD.

I watched my daughter struggle with new meds and changing meds....forgetting to take meds. Her psychiatrist said to call anytime she did not feel that her meds were working and they see or talk to her very quickly.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

I'de just like to add that seeing a liscensed Psychologist or Therapist is a must! My experience of being near death with my depression this past winter, has taught me much, and without my Therapist, support groups, and medication, I very likely might not be here right now. I was lucky to have someone physically take me to find a Therapist, perhaps you or a close friend can do this. An individual in the middle of a major depressive state may not do so on their own. Once contact is made with a good therapist, alot of the work needs to be done by the individual, but continuing love, support and little pushes along the way will help your friend find healing.

LTF

• BrentR
    BrentR

That is why I don't take them anymore. Sometimes they just don't work and can actually make more problems. For the last twelve years I have taken St Johns wort w/kava, high dose EFA's, methylcobalamin and DHEA. Every organ in our body needs a certain level of nutrients to function properly and at optimum levels. That includes our brain.

After what I have read about the currently prescribed antidepressants I will never take them again. To date the above nutrients have allowed me to manage depression and it not manage me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit