Talked with an active JW....

by drew sagan 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I kept forgetting to post this experience I had about a month ago.

There is an older guy that I know who attends my first congregation. Me and him where both what you would consider 'liberal' JWs, not playing by all the rules and having many 'independent thoughts'. He loved politics and I knew that he was just dying on the inside to go out and vote and give his opinion on these things. After the 2004 election he once told me about brother who was so mad with Bush that he went out and voted for Kerry'. He said that this guy was going to get into trouble for what he did. I didn't think much of the story at first but now I realize that he was the guy that voted! He was just trying to see what my reaction was (i basically said I could care less and that 'guy' could do whatever he wanted to).

So anyway I just so happened to meet his wifes sister (not a Jw) at a local church 3-4 months ago. A week or two after I disassociated I told her that I had a message for him if he wanted to hear it.

Sure enough I get a call from him not much later. He didn't talk about the Watchtower or Kingdom Hall at all, just was some nice small talk. His JW wife was also in the background so I know she must have approved of this conversation to some degree.

BUT he did make the point to say twice that he wasn't the 'thought police' and that he wasn't trying to live out 1984!

I wonder how much longer he is going to last in that organization. I knew all along that he was a 'rebel'. I especially am wondering what he is thinking about the latest KM article.

Time will tell.

-Drew

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I wonder how many JWs would leave if the WBTS had to do away with their shunning policy? I think a lot of people would leave and a lot more would start living "real" lives not just do what's expected of them. This poor guy proberbly just stays because he has no other option.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I wonder how many JWs would leave if the WBTS had to do away with their shunning policy? I think a lot of people would leave and a lot more would start living "real" lives not just do what's expected of them. This poor guy proberbly just stays because he has no other option.

I don't think he has any family in the JWs actually, so I guess it might be the fear of loosing friends.

He actually has a son that is df'd an I think this has been something that works on his mind a lot.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

That's so sad. Poor guy.

• Mum
    Mum

The "Society" has a way of pushing out their best and brightest. That's a good thing.

Regards,

SandraC

• Mazzie Brossmann
    Mazzie Brossmann

Where can I find the thread on the latest KM article refered to?

Thanks.

• hubert
    hubert
    BUT he did make the point to say twice that he wasn't the 'thought police' and that he wasn't trying to live out 1984!

Drew, if he used this term (thought police), of which I had only heard on this forum, perhaps he is a lurker here?

Is there any way for you to find out?

Hubert

• choosing life
    choosing life

Might be good to keep in touch if you can. You could try and meet him somewhere private. Give him the opportunity to tell you his thoughts, if he chooses. Maybe talk about the new KM article?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Every time I hear stories like this...I think of the song by Bruce Springsteen - "Jungle Land".

The midnight gang's assembled and picked a rendezvous for the night They'll meet `neath that giant Exxon sign that brings this fair city light Man there's an opera out on the Turnpike There's a ballet being fought out in the alley Until the local cops, Cherry Tops, rips this holy night The street's alive as secret debts are paid Contacts made, they vanished unseen Kids flash guitars just like switch-blades hustling for the record machine The hungry and the hunted explode into rock'n'roll bands That face off against each other out in the street down in Jungleland

In the parking lot the visionaries dress in the latest rage Inside the backstreet girls are dancing to the records that the D.J. plays Lonely-hearted lovers struggle in dark corners Desperate as the night moves on, just a look and a whisper, and they're gone

Beneath the city two hearts beat Soul engines running through a night so tender in a bedroom locked In whispers of soft refusal and then surrender in the tunnels uptown The Rat's own dream guns him down as shots echo down them hallways in the night No one watches when the ambulance pulls away Or as the girl shuts out the bedroom light

Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz Between flesh and what's fantasy and the poets down here Don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of a knife they reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand but they wind up wounded, not even dead Tonight in Jungleland

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

LOL Drew, you started this thread with "I kept forgetting to post this **--> experience <--** I had about a month ago'.

You can take the boy out of Dub-dumb, But you can't take Dub-dumb out of... Well, you get the picture.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit